× Women Medical Students

scheduling for third year

More
13 years 10 months ago #29166 by Drey
We have to start choosing our schedules for third year soon. I want to do ER medicine I think, but I don't know which rotations I need to do really well on for that residency.

I was thinking of doing surgery first so that if I screw it up, it's not so bad. Any advice on which rotations are the worst? Is it better to get all the worst ones over with first or better to space them out?

Also, we've considered having a baby during fourth year. Which would be the easiest rotations to be pregnant on towards the end of third year?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #29167 by Cabinbuilder
If you want to do ER I would suggest that you do a good cardiology, neuro, and or ICU rotation. I just did 8 weeks of ER and didn't really "get" what I am supposed to do on really sick people - the ER is too busy and the docs didn't really have time to teach.I only saw 2 codes on my rotation. Then again, I am more of a trauma, sewing, abd pain type of person. :goodvibes:

As are a being pregnant for the end of third year. Try private office peds, radiology, pathology, office oncology, derm, anesthesia. :) Those don't generally involve super long hours and a lot of standing or running around.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
13 years 9 months ago #29168 by sargasso
it really depends on how your school sets things up. i think surgery and IM will help for ER. and ER is getting so competetive that you should try to do well in everything. surgery. ob and peds are typically the longest and hardest rotations wil Im, family and psych being the easiest at my school. IM is long and typically depends on what assignments you get as to how bad it is. anyway i had ob surgery an dpeds last semester and feel as if things are only going to get better from here on out. psych and family have no call and they are what i end up with. so if i get pregnant that would be great.

More
13 years 9 months ago #29169 by TexasRose
I'm currently on Surgery and I can say without a doubt that you don't want these hours while pregnant. But, you probably already knew that. ;) What about radiology while preg? At our school they call it "radi-holiday." I also hear that psych is easier. Our IM rotations can be really tough or not bad, it all depends on your team. I would schedule that and surgery early in the year. You'll learn a lot that will be useful in ER, I think. Plus, if you can already suture and calculate meds and such when you do your ER rotation, you'll look fantastic. :D

I'd avoid OB while pregnant. It's a lot of hours and seeing bad outcomes while pregnant could be really upsetting, you know?

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

More
13 years 9 months ago #29170 by ParrotHead81
Hey Drey~

Sounds like we're in a similar situation. I have heard that it is helpful to do IM first because they really hammer home how to do a good HNP which should impress your attendings in your other rotations. I have also heard that it is best to get Surg, OB and IM out of the way before you get preg, because they have the longest hours.

Sorry I can't help you out with ER, much; because I'm interested in Peds or child psych.

The whole trying to plan the best schedule to have while pregnant is really beginning to stress me out. Especially since I have no idea when we will actually be successful once we start trying.

I never thought scheduling would be this big of a deal!

Best of luck! :)

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!