× Women Premed Students

repost: not your average candidate.

More
9 years 5 months ago #74901 by xammax
This is my situation.
Went to a four-year institution, had no intentions of becoming a physician, actually wanted to pursue journalism, but took a Biology course sophomore year, and fell in love with the sciences. By my junior year, I married my husband, and we had a baby, grades dramatically suffered, because I had a difficult pregnancy. Now I am trying to re-build my academic profile, as well as increase my GPA. I am taking classes at CC right now, to get back in the flow of school after being out for a year and a half, most are science courses. I am working towards a Associates in Biology, and then applying to a four year university to obtain my Bachelors in Biology. I understand that the pre-reqs are weighed, at times, of lesser weight if they are obtained at a CC, so to balance things, I am going to finish 1/3 of my pre-reqs at the four year university, along with some advanced science courses. A Post-Bac program is up for consideration, if when I finish my track, what I have produced is not sufficient enough, as far as "where classes were taken" (CC vs University).
Please tell me this is attainable. I have always been determined and driven, but a lot of doubt has been circulating around me because of the fact that I have a child. Please tell me women do this? LOL. I just need some guidance, reassurance, and support.

Any suggestions would be awesome as well.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #74903 by southernbelle
You can definitely do it, but it is going to be 100x more sacrafice than you can imagine.

More
9 years 5 months ago #74999 by Ladytruth27
Dont give up admissions committees just like to see an upward trend in academic record so just try to do as best as you can from here on out. GL

"It is easier to build strong children, than repair broken men." Fredrick Douglas. (love this quote and one of the reasons I want to study child psychiatry to help the youth)

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!