× Women Premed Students

how many medical schools are/did you apply to?

More
9 years 4 months ago #74908 by xammax
And what were you looking for in a medical school program?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #75168 by Sleepless in Dekalb
Hi,
I am having a bit of a pickle in this area. All the other classmates in my pre-med group (all younger, single, no families...you get the idea) have this huge list of schools they are applying to. A girl I just spoke to today has spent $1,400 on applications!!! I really only want to go to one school since it is the only D.O. school in the state. That being said, I feel bad that I am limiting my options down to one school, but I don't want to settle for what is going to be a massive 4 years of education. I plan on going into obstetrics eventually, with a more holistic approach that I feel a D.O. education will give me. I am thinking about applying to University of Illinois Chicago as a backup, but I don't know if it is worth is since my heart is so set on Midwestern University (the D.O. school). So yea...that's my story :) What is your game plan?

~do not pray for an easier life, pray instead to be a stronger person~

More
9 years 3 months ago #75170 by asunshine
If you have your heart set on only one school, why not apply early decision? It helps your chances and if you don't get in, you can still apply elsewhere in the same cycle. I did ED and it worked out great. Does Midwestern have an ED option?

More
9 years 3 months ago #75171 by Sleepless in Dekalb
I don't believe that they do. I know they have rolling admissions and take status updates on people's applications and review them continuously. I believe they wait until after the cutoff before making decisions. I also have to get a bunch of materials together over the next few weeks before my application is fully ready to be sent out. They won't even get my MCAT score until Aug 10 at the earliest.

~do not pray for an easier life, pray instead to be a stronger person~

More
9 years 3 months ago #75181 by asunshine
Gotcha. Sounds like you know what you want and how to get it. Good luck this cycle! Keep us posted!

More
9 years 3 months ago #75216 by Melbelle
Considering all the variables and possibilities, and the incredible amount of preparation involved, I would add a few more schools. The application process is expensive, but it would be more expensive to do the whole thing twice than to add a few schools to the application.

That said, I applied to 7 schools: 2 MD and 5 DO. I also preferred the DO route, but at the end of the day I made my choice based on location and opportunities for my husband. So I ended up at the school that was best location-wise, but they were also the last to accept me. That would have been a very stressful year waiting to hear from them if I hadn't had at least one other acceptance.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!