× Women Premed Students

how many medical schools are/did you apply to?

More
9 years 3 months ago #75252 by SW to MD
You are going to want to add a few schools. It is an expensive process to do more than once. Find at least 3-4 additional schools that accept students with your stats and that you are willing to attend.

I applied for 10 schools despite knowing what my number 1 was outright. While I did get into my first choice, I think the money was well spent on apps/interviews, as I learned a lot about how different schools are and appreciate my location even more.

Good luck!

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #75253 by SW to MD
And I second what Melbelle said- I had my first acceptance in October of the year I applied. It made the rest of the season very relaxed. I didn't get my dream acceptance until mid-February, and by then I would have been a wreck! I am not the most patient person though :)

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

More
9 years 3 months ago #75256 by Sleepless in Dekalb
Thank you ladies for your input :) I am trying to simplify things as much as I can and go the route that is going to be the best for myself and my family. I know there are other schools I can go to, but the other few that I could apply to are MD and I really feel that DO is right for me, and there is only I DO school in the area. We are unable to go out of state for a variety of reasons, and the DO school is only about an hour away and logistically much easier. I feel that if I do not get into the school for next year that I will do my best to make myself a better candidate for the next admissions cycle. I am trying to foster more patience and faith in myself and my abilities, not easy though when I am the only one in my program representing the married/mom/older student crowd :)

~do not pray for an easier life, pray instead to be a stronger person~

More
9 years 3 months ago #75257 by southernmd
This is absolutely not a criticism, but more just a thought to consider. Are you and your family ready to relocate when it comes to residency? You just can't bank on being able to go nearby, and with the hours you work in residency - even an hour drive is extremely tough (so I've been told - I'm just a second-year med student). I would caution you from starting down this path if your family isn't able to handle a relocation for residency later.

Also, I would urge you to consider applying to the MD schools nearby if they are convenient in location to you. In the end, the DO's do the same thing as the MD's. I am at an MD school myself, but I am friends with many DO students, and I am friends with a practicing DO. If it is osteopathic manipulation you are interested in, I"m sure you could take a course at a different time, but honestly - there is not any difference in later practice that would be worth ignoring some local schools for (in my honest opinion based on my friends' experiences in DO schools). A medical degree is a medical degree at the end, and YOU choose how to practice as a doctor (your style, philosophy etc.). They certainly teach us to consider the patiently holistically at my MD school and "treat the whole person" just like many of the DO students are taught. It's kind of a big point in medicine in general to be honest.

Best of luck considering all of these variables and making the right decisions! They are huge decisions!

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #75258 by Melbelle
I completely agree with southernmd.

I already said that I preferred the DO route, but will be attending an MD school. On the interview trail and shadowing and talking to both MD's and DO's I was surprised to find that the differences between two DO schools were often greater than the differences between the MD and DO schools. I shadowed a doctor who was a second or third-generation DO. His brother wanted to go to an MD school for its location, and had the family's blessing. I shadowed an MD who was very holistic his approach. I think the holistic approach is often stated as a difference when it is not. I am a little sad that I won't get to learn OMM, but the doctors I shadowed rarely had time to use it anyway.

In addition, if you are a person who looks at someone as a "whole person", a school will not fundamentally change you. MD or DO, you will be a physician who approaches her patients with a holistic perspective.
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!