× Women Premed Students

disappointing MCAT score. Re-take?

More
8 years 4 months ago #82155 by dancin2aMD
Thank you for all of your advice. I've been using the MSAR as a guide for which schools seem the most reasonable for me to hope for. Megboo, you are absolutely right. In fact, I've banned myself from studentdoctor net bc it really feeds the anxiety and anticipation of failure.

I actually really like the philosophy of DO program and training, and because I hope to pursue sports med/ortho/Physiatry-type specialty I think the program would be a good fit. As a patient, I have seen a DO for my dance injuries for the past five years and have had great experiences. However, I worry about the job market and ability to be competitive for the match down the road. I know that DOs have their own ortho residency, in fact there is one here in New York, but am not sure about other specialties and ability to be competitive with MDs for other programs. My boss (I work for a dermatologist as a medical assistant) told me that DOs have a separate board certification and don't have the same membership rights in the American Academy of Dermatology as MDs. Is this true? Do you know if it is the same in other organizations as well? I also have questions about research opportunities as a DO.

Presently, my plan is to apply to only MD programs this round, and apply to both next round. I am thinking MD, mainly bc it seems like a smoother path. Thoughts?

Still no word on the interview front....

"In life as in dance, grace glides on blistered feet."--Alice Abrams

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #82260 by cnatodoc
dancin' I am in the same boat! I am attracted to Osteopathic Medicine, but I also think I may want to specialize in Neurology...so I am wondering how difficult that might be to match (if even at all possible) into a Neuro residency if I go the DO route. My Primary Care Provider is a DO and she is WONDERFUL. I work at a hospital and in the hospital here, and the partner surrounding clinics we have a good amount of DO's on staff. (although I haven't seen any in neuro...but plenty in orthopedic surgery, ED, family practice and OB..if that helps dancin'...although don't know where they did their residencies/if they went through "osteopathic specific ones," would be interesting to find out! and I am in Oregon by the way, I would surprised if many of them are coming from NY..though possible I suppose?)

I am sort of leaning towards MD as well because like you said dancin', "it seems like a smoother path." If I am going to put the time and money into med school, I don't want to face any more adversity than I already will have to with getting the residency I want and getting a job post-graduation. I am really interested to see what more have to say on this...

most things in life worth doing or having require sacrifice.

More
8 years 4 months ago #82292 by carliz
For what it's worth, I work for a large hospital company (250 hospitals +) and have to deal with physician recruiters daily. When I started, 7 years ago, I honestly had to look up what a D.O. was, because I'd never heard of it (we just didn't have very many). Now, though, 1 out of 3 of our contracts go to D.O. physicians, across all specialties. Number of MDs stayed pretty flat, but our D.O. population is growing like crazy--and there is no distinguishing between the two when it comes to hiring.

So from the job perspective, at least in my experience, there doesn't seem to be much differentiation these days. I agree with the previous post that said just pursue the path(s) that you are truly interested in! If you'd be happy/comfortable with both (without feeling like one or the other is settling in some way), apply to both! You'll get excellent training regardless.

More
8 years 4 months ago #82294 by residentmom
numbers aren't everything. One of my friends made a 25 on the MCAT, had a GPA like yours and was a biology major, and got into med school on his first try and is now an anesthesiologist. He is just a bad test-taker, he is a fine physician. I would at least add in your alma mater... they tend to sometimes favor grads for interviews, if not admissions, and that way you get your foot in the door at least. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
8 years 1 month ago #83441 by dancin2aMD
Thanks everyone again!!! This is such an amazing network.

So it doesn't look like I will get into med school this year. No interview invites, just rejections. It's ok though.

I am re-taking the MCAT at the end of April. The university (Long Island University, Brooklyn) where I have been doing research for the past 8 months has 2 year program that offers an MS in exercise physiology, but I'm going to complete in 3 semesters. I have been working in a Dr's office for the past year and a half and will miss the patient contact but I think the degree and getting my feet wet again in academia will be worth it.

The plan is to apply to both DO and MD programs. I'm adding NYU (my alma mater) to the list this time. They weren't on the list this time because my mcat scores didn't look good compared to their stats. It was great to hear the positive comments about the DO path. I saw a DO for a second opinion for a shoulder injury and he was fabulous.

"In life as in dance, grace glides on blistered feet."--Alice Abrams

More
8 years 1 month ago #83490 by asunshine
Thanks for the update, dancin. Best of luck to you!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!