× Women Premed Students

Question about course load as a non-traditional

More
3 years 8 months ago #95974 by alb3335
Hello everyone! I have enjoyed this site at a distance for a while now, but I do have a specific question I would love some feedback on from anyone who may have a better understanding.
I am about to turn 30, and I'm a junior in my undergraduate program, majoring in Social Work. I started my journey in school when I was 26 years old, so it has taken me about 4 years just to get to where I am right now, with 2 more years to go before I graduate with my bachelors. I started as a business major, but decided I wanted to go into the healthcare field after volunteering and also after dealing with my own health issues for the last 2 years. That being said, I have not had a linear progression towards applying to medical school. I already know I'm going to have to have a "gap year" after I graduate anyway, in order to have enough time to finish the rest of my pre-reqs and study for the MCAT.
Not only have I changed my major a few times, I dealt with health issues (mainly, depression; it affected me so much I couldn't handle lots of work. The physical activity from walking from class to class was unbearable for me at times. I am much better now, though) and have around 6-7 "WP"'s on my transcripts. I started at 12 credits, then over the course of the last two years, most semesters I averaged around 2-3 classes only. Not only due to my health at the time, but also because I started school while working full-time, and then left my job to start my own business (which also ended up being pretty much full time! lol). Between working, health issues, and family craziness, I'm afraid adcoms are going to look at me and think I may not be able to handle med school. I have 15 Credits scheduled for this fall, and will be taking about 14-16 each semester after that until I graduate. I am hoping this trend will show them that I can handle a full time load without dropping classes. Do you think the length of time it has taken me, combined with my part-time course load during my first 4 years will negatively affect my application even if I have done much better since then? I'm also afraid I will not be able to be honestly if they ask me "why" my tract record my first 4 years was so messy/underwhelming/poorly executed during an interview, due to half the reason being my struggle with depression....it was the first time I had ever dealt with that in my life, and it knocked me off my socks. Any advice for how to strengthen this issue other than what I'm already planning on doing? Also, I have a 3.8 GPA and have maintained close the that the entire time. I guess I always thought it would be best to drop the course than to keep going and fail in order to keep my GPA high.
Thank you!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #95976 by alb3335
42 views and no responses??

More
3 years 5 months ago #96114 by 3DMOM
"I have 15 Credits scheduled for this fall, and will be taking about 14-16 each semester after that until I graduate. I am hoping this trend will show them that I can handle a full time load without dropping classes."
1. Too many credit hours at one time if you are still working or doing your own business.
2. Don't try to rush it. 3.8 is pretty good under your circumstances.
3. If you are interested in DO schools then you can see about re-taking some of the classes with WP's to boost your GPA for DO school.
4. Consider volunteering in a hospital and being part of a research team at a teaching hospital.
5. When you do your personal statement considering mentioning how you thrived after coming out of depression.

Good Luck

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!