× Women Premed Students

Wife & Mama of a 1 yr old and going to Medschool?

More
3 years 7 months ago #96147 by Raveniman
Hi guys. I'm so inspired by all you ladies. I wanted to know if any of you had small children and are currently enrolled in med school? I still have about 1.5 semesters in my undergrad and my grades weren't stellar. Literally sitting at 3.0 and I know that won't cut it for medschool. I took off some time to get married and have my daughter. With renewed focus I will get my GPA up...my grades weren't due to lack of intelligence but lack of focus and diligence because I was studying marketing, blah. After giving birth, I was flooded with childhood memories wanting to be an OB. I had previously given up that dream but I realize now that it's something i want now more than ever. For myself, my daughter, and my family.

My main goal is to be an MD that approaches mamas using the midwifery model of care.For me it's about having the best education possible for my mamas. I can take care or all aspects of care without worrying about CPM or CNM status. I believe Med school and a specialization in Obstetrics is the way to go and I do plan on getting a midwifery certification as well. But I'm a bit concerned about managing it all. As of right now, I'm 22 years old and primary breadwinner. I'm sure it will be difficult, but how do you all make it? Any tips you can share? I'll be back in school come Summer A at UCF to complete my BS then moving forward to med school. I'm still trying to figure out what path makes the most sense for me. Any and all advice is welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #96177 by mamabara
Oh my goodness... reading what you wrote is exactly what I want to do! Currently, I'm 19, with dreams of getting engaged and married soon to a perfect guy. We both have goals of going to medical school, but it's difficult knowing whether I should let him go and wait and go later in life, or if I should go first. I don't think we could do it at the same time and have children as well, which we both want. Reading about wanting to be an OB with midwife friendly care tho?? Exactly what I want to do as well! That is awesome, best of luck to you. I'll be following this thread to see the other advice that gets posted on here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!