× Women Premed Students

Retake older science classes for the MCAT?

More
12 years 9 months ago #29489 by Nikki
I'm 23 and will be finished with an MBA in a year but regret not going into the medical field. I was a biology major for 2 years but really struggled with physics and math, so much so that I changed majors and entered the business field. I did well in biology and chemistry though. I would like to give the medical route another try but if I do go back to school for prerequisites, what do I do about the classes that I have already taken like the chemistrys for example. I have forgotten all of it so what would I do when its time to take the MCAT? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #29490 by star
Unless your grades are low in those classes, you probably shouldn't retake them (unless the classes don't transfer, in which case you'd have to retake them). If you feel you need to, you could possibly audit the classes you don't remember much about. I'm nopt sure how auditing works; I've never personally done it, but it may be worth looking into. If auditing isn't an option, I'm sure you could find some review books out there to help refresh your memory. You'll definitely need to know the more basic stuff before you take, say, organic chemistry. I hope this helps some...

Star

More
12 years 9 months ago #29491 by twinmom
I had 10 years between physics and general chem and taking the MCAT. I didn't retake anything. I did pretty okay on it, but it was by far my lowest section (I really should've studied a bit more for that section, since the questions I missed on practice tests were basic recall, rather than harder, think-y ones.) I used to be quite good at physics, before I forgot it all, but was never so hot at general chem. I doubt I'd retake them in your position, but I would do a more concentrated review of the material for the MCAT. (Like seriously studying the big thick review book by your publisher of choice.)

More
12 years 8 months ago #29492 by merri
You could always audit the basic courses - and just take upper division courses to prepare you for the MCAT and for med school. I actually ended up retaking gen chem - even though I had gotten As in it because after 8 years I couldn't remember anything... you're only 23 - so you recently took your basic courses - so that's a good start!

More
12 years 8 months ago #29493 by ut2010
It had been several years between taking the pre-req's and the MCAT for me. While I had a good biology background, my PS score was only 7.

I retook the pre-req's and my PS score jumped to 10.

I re-took the chemistry and physics classes because my grades were low and I had a poor background in those areas.

Re-taking the classes and doing very well in them tells the adcoms that you are persistent, are capable of handling the material, and will help you do better on the MCAT.

Good Luck! :D

First Year Medical Student<br /> <a href=" www.netdoc.com " target="_blank"> www.netdoc.com </a>

More
12 years 6 months ago #29494 by rianah100
I had good grades but still retook all pre-reqs because
#1 my grades are 20 years old
#2 my grades are from a foreign country
#3 need to prep for MCAT anyways

Don't worry, if you did well in those classes once before, very likely that you will do well in them again.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!