× Women Premed Students

Relocating?

More
14 years 10 months ago #30137 by TexasRose
Oddly enough, even though I'm going to a school in the town I lived in, we moved anyway! Houston is huge, and we were a good 90 minute rush hour commute away from the school. That was an unacceptablt amount of lost time for me and the family, so we moved to a home that is only 30 minutes away at rush hour. (less than 20 otherwise!)

It was still a pain in the neck to buy and sell houses, move our stuff, find new schools for the kids, and leave all our friends. There were days when I really wished we hadn't moved, but I know it's best for me and the family in the long run.

My husband agreed that a convienent location was more important than the familiarity of our old neighborhood. It's also a bit closer to his new job, which is handy! :)

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #30138 by Doc201X
I'd like to present an alternative view to commuting.

I actually like having a 1.5 hour commute (by train) to and from class because it allows me to get a LOT of studying done. At some point we are going to move, but still within the DC metro area. I'll still have at least an hour commute though completely by design ( I need this time to read my notes/paper for class and I also even manage a 20 minute nap too ;) ). Luckily my Fiance' doesn't mind having a long commute in case we decide to live closer to my school in B'more.

As for 3rd year, of course a commute isn't logical so we've decided that I'll keep an apt near the hospital for that, and come home on the weekends or the family will come see me! By that time, we'll both the students so I think it should be a little easier.

I just wanted to let the folks know who have no choice but about commuting that it can be done with careful planning and support. :yes:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
14 years 10 months ago #30139 by Dental-Mom
pathdr2b, what about family time? I'd rather live close to school, and see my kids more. But that's IF homes are not a million dollars and schools are good for the kids!

:twocents:

Dental Mom.... :boggled:

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

More
14 years 10 months ago #30140 by Dental-Mom
TexasRose, I'm in the middle of all the house selling and all. I hope I can find a seller and not have to pay $25,000 to a Realtor! :boggled:

It's always nice to hear from you and see how wonderful you are doing!

Enjoy Texas!

Dental Mom :D

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

More
14 years 10 months ago #30141 by Doc201X

Originally posted by Dental-Mom:
pathdr2b, what about family time? I'd rather live close to school, and see my kids more. But that's IF homes are not a million dollars and schools are good for the kids!

:twocents:

Dental Mom.... :boggled:

Because most of my work gets done on the train/and in the lab, but the time I get home at ~7:00PM until my daughter goes to bed at ~8:45 that IS family time during the week. I learned early that it isn't about quantity but QUALITY so I'll share some of the things we did this week that consittute family time:

Once I get home, we do her homework if she hasn't already finished it which she usually does. I just check it over. I cook dinner 3 days during the work week so we do that together too, which usually amounts to her shaking a little salt in the string beans, doing a little mixing, and setting the table. While cooking, we talk about how here day went and I talk about mine as much as an eight year old can understand. However, she understands enough to ask how my recent test went reminding me that we ONLY make A's and B's in our house :D . She also takes her bath during this time. My Fiance' works late so he gets to our house ~7:40 then we eat dinner and he and my daugher place the dishes in the dishwasher. Then we play scrabble or UNO until about 8:30-8:45 when my daughter is off to bed. Or sometimes, my daugher wants to play on her computer or with her doll house until time to go to bed.

Now of course this varies from day to day because we eat out for dinner about 2 times during the work week. Our time together is ALL quality because we make EVRY thing we do togther from brushing our teeth in the morning together to when I do her hair at night special.

Quality family time is about making the majority of your interactions with your family special, IMHO.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!