× Women Premed Students

Anyone here NOT great in math/science?

More
15 years 2 months ago #30143 by InnocentKiss
To be perfectly honest, I actually love math and SOME science. However, they've been a constant struggle for me even in grade school. I was talking to one of my teachers about my goals to become a doctor (OBGYN) and she actually told me to reconsider pursuing the medical field because math and science are key in admission to medical school. I was a bit shocked by her remarks, not at the math/science but at her telling me to RECONSIDER! I r-e-f-u-s-e to give up something I'm passionate about just because these two subjects give me a hard time. Anyone here NOT great in math and or science but still managed to succeed in your pre req courses? Please share your stories..I have a pen and notebook ready.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #30144 by PremedRN
Well, I was always good at biology but math, in highschool, I was not...I thought definately this would hinder me in my math and math based sciences in college...I worked my butt off, and in my math classes, I even had to refer back to some of the algebra basics in an old book I had in some cases and have maintained so far, in my maths and prereqs, straight A's. If you know your weaknesses, you can start laying your foundation now by studying it until you get it. You have to stare at your fears in the face. Goodluck.

More
15 years 2 months ago #30145 by Marilyn
You have a good attidude!

I have always been terrible in math, or so I thought ;) When I started back to college 2 years ago I enrolled in the 0-level math classes (elementary algebra and then intermediate algebra). Elementary algebra was hard for me because it had been so long since I had done any math but I passed with a B average (it was only a pass or fail class though). Then I had intermediate algebra and that was a bit harder but I passed again with a B average. Now I am in College Algebra and it is SO easy to me!! How this happened I have no idea, but we have had 3 test and I have made a 100%, 100% and an 97% so far (no joke!) and people are coming to ME (the math dummy!) for help! Algebra is now my favorite class. I guess after while everything has just clicked.

I love science, the only classes I have struggled with are Chemistry. My first Chem test I flunked and I only ended up with a C in the class because I totally underestimated how time consuming it would be, I pulled up my tests grades in the end but it was not enough to pull up my total grade for the class. You live and you learn, Im not going to sweat it any :)

Good luck and stay focused!

Marilyn

More
15 years 2 months ago #30146 by Dental-Mom
:yes: to relive the stress I have with math. This is it for me. I'm ready to face my fears. This is what it takes to become a Dentist one day. All worth it.

I'm going to work my BIG butt off with math!

Good luck to you! Don't give up your dreams because of math!

I hate to take all this math when I don't even need it for Dental school :weeping: But a major in Biology will prepare me better than anything else.

Dental Mommy.

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

More
15 years 2 months ago #30147 by Marilyn
Yes, a bad teacher can cause so many problems that is for sure. I learned my lesson with that and now ask anyone and everyone about teachers, also check out ratemyprofessors.com to look up an individual teacher for every school....I swear by that site.

Marilyn

More
15 years 2 months ago #30148 by EKM
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH, me, me, me!!! I am not good at all!!
Remember last year before I started back to school and I was SO nervous to make it in math? I posted a HUGE post about how I could NEVER make it in the medical field because of my math skills.
Well, this semester everything is SO different. I have a great teacher and I have picked up SO much. I actually LIKE math now, and I never thought those words would come from my mouth EVER! lol Now biology is another story. I just had too much on my plate this past semester so I dropped it. I didn't want to do things half-way in that class. I wanted to do very well in that class. So, if I can do it, I am sure anyone can. I have HUGE issues with math. Good luck! Erin

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!