× Women Premed Students

can you speak spanish?

More
17 years 2 months ago #30868 by twinkle
Hi..just wanted to ask a couple of questions..
At some schools there is a requirement or recommendation that applicants speak spanish (esp in ca). Do you speak spanish? All I know comes from sesame street..I am wondering if I should attempt to start learning now (4th year UG..applying after graduation 5th year)? or if I should even bother. I know that it would be beneficial to be able to speak to most patients, but I am not sure I could handle taking another language at this point. At a stretch, I can speak three dialects of chinese..but even that needs major brushing up.

Also, for some reason I can only think of one that has Spanish as a requirement in CA, but others say there are more..anyone have a list?

thanks
trish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #30869 by UCLABruin
I live in CA and I am taking Spanish 2 this quarter. It is only required that I take up through Spanish 3, but I am planning on taking at least through Spanish 4 or 5, maybe 6. It just seems like a good idea, especially in CA.

More
17 years 2 months ago #30870 by angel
Trish,

I am a student of Arabic and beginning student of Chinese. I have taken *some* spanish, and I can tell you that you will not have to work at it half as hard as you do for Chinese! Spanish is very similar to English and easy to read. There are many options for taking Spanish. I don't know what they offer in Cali, but in my state community colleges offer "conversational" courses in the evenings or days that are learn-at-your-own-pace type classes. In my state they also offer a "medical Spanish" course that is through comm. college too. You can pick up basic conversational skills pretty fast. I know thinking of taking another language is overwhelming with a full schedule! I don't think I am going to be able to manage Arabic with Chinese, but I am tempted to try! :eek:

BTW, what dialects of Chinese do you speak? Potonguha? :) How diffucult is it to learn another dialect once you have learnt one? I have heard they are all very different....

you're not alone!!!

Angel

More
17 years 2 months ago #30871 by spacecadet
I had Spanish in high school and in college. I have forgotten most of it. I'm hoping to brush up before I start med school next year.

I have talked to medical students who said it is very useful to learn. For example, the resident and attendings will actually call for you so they have an interpreter. Plus, you get lots of experience interviewing patients. I don't know how fluent you need to be in order to be useful though...

I have another friend who only learned about 5 words of Spanish (and she did residency in Houston - big Hispanic population) and did just fine.

Pam

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!