× Women Premed Students

Biochem

More
11 years 1 month ago #32135 by Dental-Mom
Sweet ladies, thank for those survival tips =0) so good to hear that twin mom did so great!!!!

I have been drawing & coloring every little thing, but not very efficiently! What my prof. realized is that I was not memorizing how many steps are in each mechanism so when I had to write a complete one in my last exam I went blank in the last 2 steps. That is a major thing to do! Way to go twinmom!

He just emailed me a long list of "how to" when I'm doing the homework. I don't know what makes him think that I can still walk out of his class with a "B" (OMG I'll DIE with a "C"), but he thinks I can do it....

So I'll keep drawing =0) and running out of paper here! I worked with my tutor on talking and making the paths "short stories". I'm very auditory and not so visual, so that's helping a lot. And I thought "Chem 1" was a hard class! :tired: :tired:

Hey, dh is looking for a big board for me to draw and talk.....

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #32136 by Dental-Mom
I spent more than 30 hrs studying for my 5th exam, and I think I got 100% on this one. I really needed/need to study more time than any other class I've ever taken. I can't wait to see my score :no:

DH found me a big erasable board to draw and talk. I'm happy to report that I'm the master of Glycolysis!

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

More
11 years 1 week ago #32137 by amf77
Hey VTHopeful,

My advice to you? Bite the bullet and pull a few all-nighters learning excel and powerpoint for the following reasons:

1) Better to learn now than have to learn in medical school - and you WILL have to learn in medical school. As crazy as your schedule seems now, it probably won't be any better once you get into the Major Leagues :(

2) It's not going to take you as much time to learn as you think, and once you know how to utilize these programs, it can save you loads of time in not only school, but in many other tasks (like birthday party invites, making schedules or budgets, etc.)

I can sympathize - when I started on Wall Street, I was one of the only analysts out of college who didn't know how to quickly navigate around Excel, and the first thing they do? TAKE YOUR MOUSE AWAY (in order to learn the keystrokes) - EEEEEK (no pun intended)!!! However, it's been a blessing that they did. I can run circles around most of the youngins' in my classes now, and it has saved me immense amounts of headaches.

If you ever need help with something, PM me or someone who is in your class. Don't waste time banging your head against the wall trying to figure out how to do something...you should never be afraid to ask, as knowledge of these programs has nothing to do with intelligence and everything to do with experience!!!

Best,
Angela

More
11 years 1 week ago #32138 by HAM
When I took biochem, it was just books so I can't help you there. But I do know that most schools do not have requirements for the type of computer you need. However, most hospitals run PC based programs. Many different requirements need a PC so I would stay away from Macs (unless you are really computer savvy and can configure the PC based stuff to work on your Mac). I'd encourage you to buy a PC laptop that's portable enough to take to and from class. Just my 2 cents.

More
11 years 5 days ago #32139 by Dental-Mom
VT, and I'm on the other extreme. My prof has his won notes that we bought for $35 from 1979. I just finished a homework worth 20% of grade and had to go find books from 1957 and 1979!

More
11 years 5 days ago #32140 by SW to MD
Don't worry about the empty seats- many of them are probably failing! (At least it was that way in my BioChem lecture)

Drawing out cycles and reactions over and over again and using flashcards gave me a basic understanding. For exams, we studied in a group and orally went through the reactions and what happens where/why. It was really useful, because we actually got into debates about parts of it and defended our ideas- made for a much more memorable moment on test day!

Good luck- it was hard, but I really enjoyed it!

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!