× Women Premed Students

I don't want to move

More
12 years 7 months ago #32524 by Calinca
Hello all, I am new here. I am 30 years old mother of a 4 year old son.

So I am finishing my pre-req's, getting ready to write MCAT and apply for medical school. Just one problem: My husband is the vice-president of a software company here in Seattle, WA, so that pretty much means that he is not moving anywhere.

I am left with the decision of only applying to one school (University of Washington) or leaving my family behind. I was sure I was going to find a similar situation here on the forums, but I could not find anything.

Since I know I would never leave my family behind, my only chance is to apply to UW and see. I have a strong application, but I heard that on interviews they usually ask you how many schools are you applying to, which made me a little concerned. Is that a positive point that you really want to go to that one school or is that a negative point, meaning "how can you be so stupid in applying only to one school?"

Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #32525 by orb
Calinca,
I was in a similiar situation where I didn't want to move. I successfully applied EDP to my state school. Check out if they have early decision at your school. You might want to talk to the admissions people to find out if you're a good candidate - at my school they had GPA and MCAT minimums. I found it to be well worth it - at my school if you don't get accepted EDP then they'll automatically put you in the regular pool of applicants and re-review your application for the same class. Informally I've heard that at my school almost all the Early decision applicants get in either through EDP or the regular pool.

More
12 years 7 months ago #32526 by twinmom
I talked to our director of admissions here last October, and she strongly recommended applying to multiple schools, but said that I would be a "competitive applicant" there. She even suggested "extra" courses that I should take to be more competitive.

Fast forward to now - I got in at the school in my neighborhood, but was certainly asked where else I applied, and I told them, and it was written down. It was always made very clear both that I had significant ties to this particular area (husband is a grad student here) and also contingency plans if I had to go elsewhere.

Now - you're west coast, so what I've heard from the west coast-ers at my interviews is that there aren't as many options (when someone commented on why so many of them trekked across the country), so I don't know how many hours away the nearest other med school is for you.

More
12 years 7 months ago #32527 by drRobyn
I think you are a good candidate for Early Decision, if Washington has it. I applied EDP to my state school because it was my first choice and exactly where I wanted to be, even though I could have applied broadly to many schools. The best thing to do is talk to admissions at the med school and see if your numbers and experience make you a strong applicant for EDP.

Basically, if you are only going to apply to the one school, do EDP.

Good Luck!

More
12 years 7 months ago #32528 by Calinca
Thanks everyone. UW does not have EDP, and I think I will be a strong applicant. The thing is, if they ask me the dreaded question, I will have to say the truth and I think that is going to be somewhat negative. I can't imagine a better way to say it.

More
12 years 7 months ago #32529 by Calinca
twinmon: The nearest school is Portland, OR - 3 hours away. I don't think I will be able to commute, but I am considering this one school just in case. I haven't look into their program yet, but if it's a good school, then I will apply.
I will be taking extra courses because I am going to finish a B.S. in Microbiology. My gpa right now is 3.8. I have plenty of EC both from here and from Rio de Janeiro where I grew up. I just need to do the shadowing thing - which I did in Brazil a long time ago just for fun, but I don't think that will count. :)

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!