× Women Premed Students

I don't want to move

More
12 years 9 months ago #32530 by Baby Einstein
Too bad they don't have EDP. I did that too. You would obviously have better chances if you applied broadly, but I don't think it would look badly if, when asked, you said that you are only applying to this one school due to family reasons. As long as you show your commitment to medicine (i.e., "if not accepted this cycle, I will reapply, improve my application, and discuss with my husband the possibility of moving after I apply more broadly next year"), I don't see it being that big a problem. They understand that people with families may be more limited in their school choices, but you have to make sure it is not interpreted as a lack of commitment. Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #32531 by orb
Interviewers volunteer for the job and take time from their busy schedules to interview because they believe in the school and the community. It sounds funny from the interviewee end, but part of the interviewer's role is to sell the school to you. They've made a commitment to this community and will relate to your own commitment. Talk about your strong ties to the community, your commitment to being an active Washingtonian citizen, and your confidence in the fit of the school for you. You sound like a very competitive candidate; I don't think the number of schools you apply to will affect the outcome one way or the other for this one particular school.

More
12 years 9 months ago #32532 by rock_see
I applied EDP to a school 5 minutes from where I live for a very similar reason - my DH owns his own business and it would be financial suicide for him to pick up and try to start over somewhere else.

Definitely meet with someone at UW and see what they say. And if you are asked how many schools you applied to in the interview, be honest. You are married, with a child, and if you don't have to separate your family you don't want to. I was asked why I applied early decision - I emphasized my family ties here but also made it clear that the school was more than just a location to me (ie - pointed out some aspects of the program that are appealing to me besides location).

Do consider residency also - if you need to relocate for residency will that be possible? I would speculate that residency is harder than medical school and would sooner attempt medical school without my spouse's help than I would residency.

OB/Gyn R2 and Mom of three (10, 8, and 4)

More
12 years 9 months ago #32533 by TexasRose
2 thoughts.

1-You could apply to a handful of other schools so that you can honestly answer that dreaded question.

2- If you applied elsewhere and were accepted, you might be able to transfer back to Washington after the first or second year.

Just offering those "out there" possibilities because you've already gotten good advice from others. :)

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

More
12 years 9 months ago #32534 by twinmom
Well, you do certainly sound like a competitive applicant. I'm always really impressed by high GPA's, though, since I haven't been able to manage that one since high school. ;)

Rather than speculate more, why don't you see what the admissions director at UW says? In my experience, these are really nice people, who don't really function as "gatekeepers," but rather as PR folks, because it's in the school's interest for everyone to love them. Make sure they know how great you are, too.

By the way, 3 hours is a bit long. If it were 2.5 hours or less, you could move to halfway in between and everyone would have a doable, if unpleasant, commute. That was our plan if I didn't get in nearby. Terrible, unpleasant, but a plan.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!