× Women Premed Students

Failure

More
15 years 5 months ago #33370 by Jacjef
I'm 36. I'm also a mom of two: a 14 yr old and a 17 yr old about to graduate from high school. In addition, I'm an RN working part-time nights in an ER 1 hr away. Currently, I'm taking a night Calculus course. This is my only pre-med class presently and I have a bazillion more pre-reqs to go. The struggle: I got a C- on my first test and almost assuredly a worse grade on my second test last week. :ouch: The subject is very interesting to me, but constraints on my study time are really hurting me in this class. I don't want to give up!!! But it's so difficult for me not to feel like a complete failure. The issue right now for me is whether to drop and take it in the Fall or continue on and probably receive a less-than desirable grade and maybe have to retake it anyway. I'm anxious to continue with my pre-med studies! It's finally time to do this! I'll be about 40yr old when I apply for med school and so want to do well. What would you all do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #33371 by PremedRN
Hello! I havent taken calculus, and Im not going to. Alot of the schools dont require it, but there are some. The schools Ill be applying to dont require it, and I dont need it for my degree or as a prereq to anything else (except chemistry, in which I signed a waiver) and Im doing fine.
I was debating whether or not to take it since Ive done so well in my precaculus classes, but decided not to, in part from the advice of others. I hear calculus is a monster, even for those who have always gotten As get Cs.

I guess I would say do your best. That is all you can do. You will have to make the time to study more. Does your professor curve? I hear from a lot of other people that their calculus grades were curved. Getting a C isnt necessarily going to put you out of the game.

Good luck!

More
15 years 5 months ago #33372 by efex101
Well there is no easy way into gaining acceptance and I am sure that you are aware of this. It will take a tremendous amount of time to study and a lot of self-sacrifice to not only do well in your classes but just to pursue this path period. You will have to prioritize what you want to get out of this endeavor. Make a very objective assesment of your time management skills are you putting *in* enough time for this class? if the answer is a resounding no then you need to start buckling down for it will not get easier trust me. If OTOH you are putting in enough time then you need to go see your professor immediately and ask for some input on how to improve your grades from now on. I would only drop this class if you foresee getting less than a C...

More
15 years 5 months ago #33373 by Marilyn
Great advice (as usual!) from everyone so far. I would also like to say that not every subject is going to be easy. Some things you will find you are better at, some thing you will find are a LOT harder and you will really struggle with! For me, I struggle with chemistry. In order for me to do well I have to study for 2 hours a night, every night!

I mean do you think every doctor made an A or B in every single class they took? Sure, there are always a few people who do that, but for most of them, I bet they had a C or 2 in their, OR, they soon learned they had to bust their A** to do well.....you are just as smart and can do just as well.

For me as well, this road has caused a lot of self doubt in my abilities to even do it. I imagine a lot of people go through this but the more classes I take and do well in, the more confident I get about it all.

Marilyn

More
15 years 5 months ago #33374 by StartingOver
I totally feel your pain! I'm in PreCalculus II right now and I've failed both tests despite working my ass off. I am so frustrated right now. I have a super nit-picky professor who takes points off for everything--so much so that 2/3rds of our class is failing right now. I've never had such bad grades in my life. I am going to hang in there though and keep the class b/c I've already spent so much time on it. Also, my prof. is head of the science & math dept. so I don't have a lot of recourse but to try to conform to his ridiculous standards and just try to improve my last two tests (and a comprehensive final :yikes: ).

I don't know what to tell you. If you are really worried about the grade, you may want to withdraw and retake it. Or do my strategy and take your chances. You can always repeat the class, but it will depend on your school policy whether your grades are averaged together or the new one takes away the old one. (I'm not sure). As for myself, I will probably retake this exact same class in the fall at a 4-year university once I start my "official" premed journey. I'm currently taking math prep classes at a community college.

Good luck!

Love,
Stacy

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!