× Women Premed Students

massive loan problems :-(

More
15 years 2 months ago #33525 by tara8301
I know $30,000 sounds like a lot, but this is including tuition which is close to $16,000 not counting room/board... damn private school... :boggled: The bank of america loan is specifially a student loan, and I can defer the payments until after I graduate. I wouldn't get a loan otherwise 'cause there's no way I need to add monthly loan payments to everything else.

But I'll definately check with the financial aid office. I did earlier in the summer and they basically told me my only option was to get a private loan since I wanted to live off campus. Maybe they're just being stupid because they hate it when students live off campus, and they try their hardest to make people live in the dorms.

"Don't judge yourself by somebody else's standards. You will always lose."<br />-Billy Corgan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #33526 by EKM
I hadn't heard of colleges saying that you have to live on campus..but who knows, maybe private schools are different.
I would then tell them SURE, I will live on campus, do so for a month after you get the money and then MOVE. :rotfl: :laughing:
Do what ya gotta do! :) But 30K is a whole lot of money and that has to be paid back later and that is so much! :yikes: Good luck! Erin
Also I think stafford loans have lower interests then bank of america, not sure tho. :D

More
15 years 2 months ago #33527 by M-A
I can definitely relate...

However, I am 29 and you're only 21. You've got a lot of time to figure things out. Realize that this may take a while, but it will be worth it in the end.

I think you probably should ask your boyfriends parents if there is nobody else to ask. If they like you, they will definitely help out. It's not like you're asking for help for something frivolous!

Good luck

M-A

More
15 years 2 months ago #33528 by EKM
I am by no means a financial expert, but...here is what I was thinking. If you go through your school and the financial aid office there, you should be able to get a stafford loan without having anyone co-sign for you. Then you wouldn't even have to ask anyone to help you. :)

More
15 years 2 months ago #33529 by Marilyn
That is a lot of money, I personally wouldn't co-sign for that either, it is just too much and the co-signer is responsible for paying that if something happens and you can't (and thing's DO happen). So you have to see it from their side as well.

You should definatly check with your schools financial aid office. Private schools, because they cost so much more, tend to offer more aid to their students and more loans (that you shouldn't need a co-signer for).

Good luck and don't stress out. Is an expensive private school your only choice??

Marilyn

More
15 years 2 months ago #33530 by PremedRN
How about considering going to a state school?

Make sure you file a fafsa every year by the dead line.

Some financial aid offices, if not all, give the students more consideration for "unusual circumstances"--you have to fill out a form and write a letter explaining your situation. (I have done this before and got some assistance).

If you are bent on going to the private school, you may have to go down to Part-time and work. (I have had to do this one too, 20 yrs old, working FT.)

30,000 is a lot for one yr of study, I have that and have an associate's degree and 5-6 more classes after this,I will have a bachelors in a different field of study. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!