× Women Premed Students

being sure about medicine

More
14 years 8 months ago #34592 by Drey
I realized for sure this week when I realized that I'm on spring break, and I can't wait for classes to start again because I'm really enjoying myself learning medicine!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #34593 by Dental-Mom
I don't think this is something that someone talks to you about. It's something that comes from you--really deep inside your heart and head. For most is experiencing things....

For me it has been having a premature baby, and been sick after that. I've seen all kinds of Drs. When I was at the NICU for weeks taking care of my son, something started surfacing & growing and for yrs I put my self down. Me? Yeah, give me a break. Finally last year, I got tired of been lost and not happy with my relaxed life of been only a mom with 2 kids, and no education *that kills me* I stopped school and stay home with my kids for 6 yrs.

So last year, I began with asking God for direction. I ask God to show my what am I supposed to do with my life? So things started happening very fast, and next thing I knew my head was more clear, my self steem was back again, and I went back to school, put my 18 months old in pre school, my preemie went to Kindergarten and it's been a "happier life" for me since then. The time was right for me to start school again.

I do have the compassion to take care of someone who's ill or in pain. I have learn so much these past 6 years of been sick. I used to be so healthy that sickness was an unknown thing for me. I had no clue. Now I know....my husband says that I would make a hell of a Dr. And it all sounds like I should and want to be a Dr. But when I think about the years I'd be away from my children, I don't want to do it. I actually love surgery. I remember 10 years ago when my brother in law was finishing Biology to apply to med school that he would say how much he loves surgery, and that when he's in the OR that he felt home....deep inside I thought the same thing too. But I put my self down. I thought I was not good enough. After all, he was the handsome guy, the brilliant student, the one that everyone admired. And me? I was just an immigrant :boggled: learning English and planning to become a teacher (to please my father mostly).

So off I went to College and did 1 year of Elementary Ed....got a wonderful job as a Spanish teacher that year too. By Summer, I quit. It shocked the whole world (the school, the parents, family, friends --my father :boggled: ) And I decided that I was independent & that I want it to be my own boss. So I switched to Management and was Ok with it, but not happy....then I had got pregnant and one day in class my professor said wow you look different :yes: I also love the smell of a Dental office :yes: I have found my mini surgery thing in Dentistry. I love management and been the boss, so I'll get to do that one day too. I love talking and listening to people, so I'll be doing that too. I love remodeling, construction and doing delicate jobs, so as a Dentist I'll be the Bob the Builder mom -- for the mouth! :D

Well, I hope you find the answer in your heart. Only you know what's in there. Listen to your heart. We women can do EVERYTHING we want. We are better than men :hyper: and can handle a lot more. And one doesn't have to be a 4.0 student to prove how much we know.

Good luck searching,

Dental mom :D

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

More
14 years 8 months ago #34594 by bjj
I also was an Elementary Education major two semesters away from graduating and DREADING student teaching, much less a career in that field. I decided to take a couple of classes one semester that actually sounded interesting to me(and to put off the student teaching thing), and one of them was Psychology of Addiction taught by a psychiatrist. He spent a lot of time on psychopharmacology and went into more depth on neurotransmitters and such than the normal college professor probably would. I thought I might try to get my Masters in Counseling and bugged the poor man to death about various points after class until he finally said, "If you like it that much, maybe you should consider a career in medicine." I considered it - and that was it. After years of being in the wrong field, finally realizing what it was I was supposed to have been doing all this time was the most amazing feeling. I have not one doubt about medicine and am counting down the days until medical school starts the same way my little boy is counting down the days until his birthday party!!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!