× Women Premed Students

Retaking classes to raise GPA

More
10 years 11 months ago #35222 by Dental-Mom
I have a question about retaking classes. I have 3 C's in my requirements and I'm almost done. This semester I'm taking Orgo II + lab, a math class, *maybe* Biochem II-- and I'm done & graduating in May.

I'm also taking the DAT entrance exam in May as well and will apply to dental schools in June....

So the dilemma is: should I just focus on the classes that I need, take DAT, and apply "saying" I'm retaking classes? I'd like to apply early to improve my chances (it really helps).

Or should I retake couple of classes, don't take DAT because I won't have time to study, and apply later but with a complete package??

There are people with C's in dental school, but my #1 choice is 30 mins from my house and their GPA is as high as Harvard.....as you can imagine we prefer not to move to another state! Although I am applying to other states :tired:

These are the C's

Chemistry I (retake) 79% :yes:

I hope this is not too confusing. Thank you in advance.

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #35223 by nightnurse
Hi Dental-Mom

I think you should concentrate on he classes you have to finish and take the DAT exam. If you do well then you don't have to worry to much..besides your C's aren't devastating, worse comes to worse you can take those classes again if you don't get into the school you want. I have classes that I received C's in but the way I look at it I lan on doing well on the MCAT to prove that I can handle the work. So study hard for the DAT and goodluck.

nightnurse

Many will say it's not possible, but few would admit to your success. Follow your heart because it ever lies.

More
10 years 10 months ago #35224 by Dental-Mom
Thank you nightnurse, I'm doing just that--only taking what I need to graduate 8 credits and studying for the DAT.

I spoke to the best premed advisor in my campus, and he suggested I retake Chem I and Biochem since the math was my issue....so I'll do that in the summer, and based on my wild calculations I'll raise my GPA again from 3.4 to 3.6~ something like that....it looks better and my math will finally get better :tired:

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

More
10 years 10 months ago #35225 by asunshine
Dental school might be a little different than med school. Why not call the school and ask? The admissions director will be able to give you the best recommendation that is school-specific, plus s/he will be able to start getting to know you-or at least your name.

This might be silly, but before I applied to medical school, I stopped by the admissions office (in professional dress, of course) and asked if I could make an appointment to see the admissions director to discuss my options since I wanted to apply early decision. He happened to be in, and he sat me down right there and talked to me (I brought copies of my transcripts, etc, even though they weren't needed). I was SO nervous, but it was worth it, and there's something to be said for doing something in person that you could do over the phone.

ps-I did get in by ED, even though my MCAT was below the school's average.

More
10 years 10 months ago #35226 by Dental-Mom
asunshine, I have met with 2 adcoms at my state dental school. Past few days I've been thinking to call one of them because I really don't have time to take Biochem in the summer--it will mean that I can not work. I may do just that--call and see what they say. They told me to study for DAT like my last breath.

I'm so happy to hear that you went there and got accepted. There's nothing like showing up in person! I did that too few months ago and it has been nothing but great after that.

Thank you for the great suggestion!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!