× Women Premed Students

Losing Hope

More
14 years 8 months ago #35979 by Maddie
Wow thank you guys SO much for your support!! You girls are amazing :-)

I will read these often whenever I am in a time of need!! Thanks again!!

:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #35980 by surfngrl913
I know exactly how you feel, and the climbing mt. everest comparison is so appropriate. I get in these funks sometimes and wonder how in the world I'm going to pull it off, so you're definately not alone. But what separates us from the rest of the pre-meds is that we plow striaght on into the subjects that would make others wet their pants. Good Luck with your classes and study hard!

More
14 years 8 months ago #35981 by Cabinbuilder
I should tell you about physics. Unless you are a whiz at calculus do not take calc based physics, take the algebra based. It does not matter in the end and you will be much less bogged down. The point of physics is not necessarily to get the right answer but to write out the steps you take to get to the answer. You get credit for your work even if the answer at the end is wrong. Do all the homework problems and know how to do them cold. If you struggle on the homework you will struggle more on the exam. Hopefully for you there will be quizzes throughout so you can maitain a high average. Don't despair if you walk out of the exam feeling like you failed. My year I took physics I left every exam in tears, but I did the homework and did well on the quizzes and ended up with an A in the end - go figure that one??? If you can understand the concepts and know what the questions are asking, then the math falls into place.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
14 years 8 months ago #35982 by Maddie
Thanks very much for the physics tip. I actually looked it up, and the physics that is required for pre-meds is an algebra and trigonometry-based course. I'm sure it would be helpful to have calculus under my belt, but it's not necessary.
Thanks!!!

:-)
maddie :cool:

More
14 years 8 months ago #35983 by Duck
Thank you Kathie for pointing out algebra-based calculus :rotfl:

Duck

More
14 years 8 months ago #35984 by Cabinbuilder
You are welcome. Physics is hard enough without the added stress of calc if you don't get calc too. The admissions committee doesn't care what type of physics you take because in medicine it the concepts that matter - not the math. Things like flow (blood), pressure (vascular), conductivity (nerves), optics (vision) - that's what is pertinent not how you get the answer.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!