× Women Premed Students

What time do you study?

More
12 years 7 months ago #36066 by Vanessa L
Can anyone please tell me if Med-students have classes on weekends, and what days you usually have classes and approximate times?
Also, how long is a semester in med school, do you guys have holiday's off (Christmas, THanksgiving, and so on)...One last thing, do med-students have to travel or make speeches/presentations...thanks alot -a premed student

Vanessa Lowry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #36067 by Popcorn
Vanessa,
Every school is different, so it's very hard to generalize. We usually didn't have weekend obligations, although study groups frequently met on weekends. The first 2 years are generally similar to college (Aug-May), but after that, it's year-round. We got about 2 weeks off for the holidays, but things change year to year. As far as hours, that's up to the individual school, but it's more than a full time job, that's for sure. If you do a search, you might find more information.

Back to the original topic, as for me and studying, when I was in med school it was usually in the early mornings and evenings, depending on what block we were in and how much I had to put into it. I had to have thing absolutely quiet because I am very easily distracted.

And yes, I'm replying to random topics at 3am. :hyper: I'm wide awake and am staying on nights for a few more days, so I can't very well go to sleep at a normal time. And I'm bored... (And no, I'm not going to even TRY to tackle the pile of journals accumulating on my desk...)

Danielle

More
12 years 6 months ago #36068 by mommy2three
i am a night person......and my dh is an early morning person...makes for some interesting weekends...lol :rotfl:
i usually study when i get home from class until i go and get the kids then occasionally while i am making dinner and again after dinner till kids bedtime and usually after that until i hit the hay :) and most weekend time is devoted to studying

b, med student<br />married since 2/97<br />my trio:<br />s (11), d (8), a (4)<br /><br />class of 2014

More
12 years 6 months ago #36069 by futuredrjae
I normally study all night and go to bed around 4 am. My two kids normally wake up around 8:30 so that gives me about 4 1/2 hours of sleep. I always thought that I had to sleep 8 hrs. to function. Hopefully, this lack of sleep won't catch up with me anytime soon. :crossfingers: :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #36070 by starfish
I don't know if my 2 cents counts because I don't have kids. BUT I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in anyways.

I blew it this weekend but, for the most part my husband and I started this new thing where we go to bed at 10 and wake up at 5am. It was hard at first but I found that once I got used to it I learned a lot better. The minute I come across a question I have problems with I write it down on a notecard, they all become flash cards that I look at whenever I have a chance, whether it be 3 minutes or more, you wouldn't think that a few minutes would help much but it actually does. I do the same thing with calculations only I take the problem I had trouble with, work it out with the prof, write the correct way down on a notecard and practice that on scrap paper once a day. Few minutes here, few minutes there. It all adds up. It's really surprising. :)

Hope this helps :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #36071 by kiekie007
I have a schedule that many think is bizarre. My two year old goes to bed at around 7:30 so that is my bed time. I wake up at 1:45 and start my studies and my day! That gives me a little over 6 hours. It is quite at that time and I usually get a lot of studying done. I do get a little envious of those in dreamland, but hey...it's all for the best!

Kie!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!