× Women Premed Students

What time do you study?

More
13 years 4 months ago #36060 by rock_see
I do all of my studying during my kids' naptime. ;-) This was easier when I just had one. She took a predictable nap every afternoon for at least 2 hours (sometimes 4!). Now that I have two kids it's a little tougher. The oldest still takes her predictable nap and it's getting easier to get the baby down at the same time, though she doesn't usually sleep quite as long.

It's working well for us. I do try to get some work done if they are both awake but at least happy (and not needing my constant attention). I finished an entire full length physical sciences section for the MCAT yesterday, just taking one break to tend to the baby but otherwise both kids were awake and happy (and I scored a 13!! My highest yet - maybe the key for me to do well on the MCAT is to have lots of distractions and noise?? LOL).

It was much easier as an undergrad when I didn't have kids. I did a lot of studying in the evening and some during the afternoon (never in the morning ... I'm a grouch in the morning).

OB/Gyn R2 and Mom of three (10, 8, and 4)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #36061 by Asha Yakini Kidawa
I'm a night owl. I have to have it completely quiet to focus, and that's the only time when it is.

Asha Yakini Kidawa<br />Life Truth Medicine

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #36062 by Kristine
Mostly, I like to study at night, until around 2am. But, I study between classes a lot too. If its a while between them I'll drive over to Starbucks and study with my ipod for about 2 hours before and after class. Last semester I went there so much they started making my coffee for me when they saw me walk in because I always get the same thing. But, its almost impossible for me to get any studying in without light music in the background.

Kristine Smith

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #36063 by Doc201X
Now that I'm taking a class with other med students (Medical Histology), all I do is study, on the metro, while I'm waiting on my daughter to get out of camp, in the morning before class, in the library after class, during my morning bathroom "rituals" (use your imagination :D )!!! If this is what med shcool is going to be like, I'd better get a maid and cook lined up now!!!! :tired:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #36064 by merri
I used to be able to study until 12:00 am easily- even after a full day of work and/or school - but the last two semesters - I find that I really can't study much past 8 or 9 -- so it looks like I'm going to have to shift my study times to early mornings and weekends during the day... I'm with pathdr2b though - I study whenever I can (while eating, working out, etc.) -- although I am considering making my work out time my "study-free" time.

More
13 years 3 days ago #36065 by j.lasaundra
They say that its best to study during daylight hours, because at night, our body is preparing for sleep. Its also said to study in 50 min increments, like 5 min prep, 40 min study, 5 min break, and repeat. with breaks inbetween, it gives your brain a chance to soak in the information. and she also said that 30hrs/week is the amount of time most premed students spend studying in order to achieve a 3.7 or better gpa. one more thing, she said its always better to look over you notes from class either right after class, or within 24 hours, to retain better. This was a wonderful lady who came to speak to us in the smdep program at the uw from lsu. I can't wait to try this out in the fall.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!