× Women Premed Students

Single mother of 4

More
11 years 1 month ago #36644 by LauraMD
Right, efex has it.

Yes, as an adcom, we did look at whether the applicant worked and/or had a family. I does matter..

But.. (as efex also stated) many applicants (myself included) managed to take a full load in college AND work full time, AND raise a child (or three). I thought it was awful at the time, but it was what I *had* to do (that or accept working at a job I hated (for $12/hr) forever). And interestingly, it was NOTHING compared to the stress and time committment of med school.

So, really.. we do look at the whole picture, an applicant who has been working full time, going to school part-time gets more 'credit' than one going to school part-time and not working....... BUT then there are the ones working their tails off with two jobs, 16 units and a two year old.. those ones we KNEW could handle the load.

Ultimately, adcoms aren't trying to be sadistic.. no really. ;) Med school IS hard. (Harder than you think it will be before you get there--I guarantee). We need to choose students who can make it through the curriculum. THAT is our job. (And, BTW, it ain't as easy as it looks..)

Do what you can.. I'm not saying it's *impossible* to be accepted without taking a full class load. I just want you to keep in mind what we are looking for.

Brownie, that's a hard question to answer. I'm confused why you have '2.5 yrs'? Are you waiting til your kids are older to apply? Or something else.. anyway, if you could take the classes all at once, it would probably look better. But it is all relative. Do the best you can, and get your application in there! :)

Keep in mind too, that I don't have experience at other schools (though I suspect they are similar). They might have different expectations.

Best of Luck! Laura

And when they carve my stone, all they need to write on it is, "Once lived a man who got all he ever wanted..." --Ty Herndon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #36645 by brownie
Laura - to clarify, I have 2.5 yrs to wait b/c I haven't taken 2 bio classes or 2 org chem classes, so I cannot take the MCAT until April 2010 to get some organic in first. I am taking only bio 1 now, and while I could have taken bio & organic 1 this semester since I've had gen chem, I need to review the material since my chem class was 12 yrs ago. I did learn that I should also take biochem and genetics, so I will be adding two courses to my schedule which should fill in some gaps. Anyway, I'm not too worried about it. . .as long as my grades are good & my MCATs are good. I also need the time to get in some healthcare experience. . .and pay off my car and our RV. . .I had never dreamed my husband would come around to me going to med school. He has opposed me twice before, but this time it was his idea. . .Anyway, I've gone on too long! Thnx for the advice!

More
11 years 1 month ago #36646 by Doc201X
Sounds like a well thought out plan brownie!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
11 years 1 month ago #36647 by Dental-Mom
What about full time but with average of 2 science classes + labs, but never 12+ credits of pure science?

I made the choice to not be a full time science student to spend more time with my kids--they are little only once and these same words I said to
one of the adcoms: in order for me to spend more time with my kids, I wake up at 1 or 2 a.m. to study.....take 8:00 a.m classes, be home by 2 or 3 pm, help with homework, brake up fights, cook dinner, and go to bed at 8 or 9 pm with the kids....to wake up at 1 or 2 a.m! She was blown away and said that had never heard of such a thing, and that I'm one of the most motivated/hard worker candidates she's ever seen....I also told her about my learning disabilities, math dyslexia, IBS, acne, and hemorroids...and that I sold my dream home to move across the country for family support......yeap, I sure said it all! LOL!!!

Anyways, I was always afraid that I could be turned down because of not taking full loads of sciences every semester. But after meeting 3 adcoms at my #1 choice, I realized that they are humans too, and that they do look at the whole package.

I think one should take a full load of science at least once to feel the pain of what is to come. It's very stressful, but very rewarding.

Also it will help with adcoms seeing that one can take the heat. They do understand when you have family.

I don't believe that because I'm a mother I should have any preference over other candiadates w/o children. I always wondered how will anyone (adcoms) see how dedicated I am, how much motivation I have, and how much I had sacrificed to get here...it only took one interview few months ago to realize that I'm so fired up that it leaks through my pores and every cell and enzyme in my body! LOL!!!

Class of 2010 watch out, I'm ready and here I come!

Dental Mom<br />Determination: You don't know what you can do until you try.<br />Applying this summer<br />Dental school 2010!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!