× Women Premed Students

Too old? Financial options?

More
15 years 6 months ago #36805 by dar
Hi All: I am 41 and have two boys, 4 and 2. I have been a lawyer for 14 years and hate it. I have always contemplated going to medical school and was even premed for a time. My GPA was high, including my science GPA (I would need to take chemistry and physics I think to apply to med. school). My father is a general surgeon and I know from watching him over the years and our family doctor friends, that I missed the boat when I chose my career path. Anyone out there 41 or so and in med school or about to start? Am I too late? Also, I have certain monthly expenses now that a 24 year old student would not have and if I have to quit law altogether to go to medical school, I am not sure how I will pay for the mortgage etc. My spouse can contribute some, but I am the main breadwinner in our family. I am not certain how much in financial aid I might get in my situation. Any thoughts or suggestions, would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #36806 by efex101
No you are not too old, I am 37 and have multiple acceptances so do not let your age get in the way. As far as financial aid goes you will be in the same boat as everyone else you will have to get loans to go to school and live off. If you have monthly bills now I would try to start paying off some debt and go into med school with the least amount of debt possible....

More
15 years 6 months ago #36807 by dar
Thanks for the reply. My financial situation would hold me back more than anything probably. Any idea on how much in student aid one can obtain, or does it depend on the institution you attend?

More
15 years 6 months ago #36808 by efex101
Well you do get enough aid to pay for tuition, books, fees, and they do give you *some* living expenses but not much. The living expenses changes by were the school is located and the cost of living but still maybe $2,000 tops for rent, food, clothing, etc..I will have to dig up the financial paperwork from some schools to be more specific.Actually, if you go to the home page of any med school that you think you will apply to go to the financial aid link and maybe info is there...regardless, I am sure that you will be able to get other loans to assist you but they may not be as such a good rate as what the school will have...

More
15 years 6 months ago #36809 by Drey
Also, there are other loan repayment programs. You probably won't want to put up with the army, but if you are willing to move, there's an underserved population service corps that has a loan repayment program as well. I forget the name of it right now, maybe someone here knows it.

If you have a good gpa, and good MCATs, a couple of places do actually give merit scholarships--U Cincinnatti has a couple, Ohio state has some, and efex tells me that Wash U St. Louis has some. I'm sure there are more. Check out your state school.

Plus, since you are financially independent, they won't ask for parental info, and are only basing financial aid grants on your personal income and assests, so you can get a much better deal than some of us younger students. I have to give parental financial info for both my parents, even though they're divorced five states apart and I lived with my mother my entire life. Also, I'm going to be married before medical school, and I'm certainly not asking either parent for money to fund this little venture. grrr. And of course, since I"m not married to him now, they won't take into account his student loans. sigh. :rolleyes:

Anyways, sorry about the sideways rant, but my point is that I don't think financials should be your main consideration for med school. Do what you love!

Best of luck,
Audrey

More
15 years 6 months ago #36810 by efex101
Actually most medical schools still require parental information regardless of age and Wash U is for sure one of them so beware. You *will* have to get your folks to give you a copy of their tax return to get any type of aid/scholarships/whatever from the medical schools just FYI.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!