× Women Premed Students

What life story do you have to share that aided your decision to be a doctor.

More
15 years 7 months ago #39115 by Marilyn
Wow I have really enjoyed reading all this :)

When I was about 5 I do remember wanting to be a doctor, I had a book my mom got me that showed the human body and it had a poster in it and I hung it up in my room and was always looking at it and was fascinated by it.

But I was never serious about my education nor very focused as a teenager like some kids are. I got kicked out of school in the 8th grade and received my high school diploma through independent study at home and came to realize "hey I am not stupid" and became for the first time in my life, interested in college.

I started out interested in law, I really though I could help poor people but after I got a job in a law office I found it was just way to boring for me. I can't stand to just sit all day and most of the lawyers I worked with sat at a computer all day long. It just was not the "thing" I was looking for.

I enrolled in college with an interest in Nursing and when I took my first Anatomy class I fell in LOVE with the human body all over again and made my first A. Next semester I took Physiology and loved that and made another A (along with other classes like Micro, etc). I think seeing that I could actually do so well in school in classes that so many of my classmates flunked out of or dropped made me feel good about myself and that I really was capable of doing whatever it was I wanted.

A few years ago also both my parents have become chronically ill and that even more set off a passion for medicine in me. I just KNEW I could take care of people and I saw so many doctors that IMO were terrible and didn't care and I know I can do a better job than them. I have also met many doctors who are so fantastic and truly care about their patients, that the affect they have on people's lives is amazing and profound- what I want to be.

OK sorry this is so long, it kinda helped me to type all this out and see for myself why I want to become a doctor. I just feel I have a passion for it and there is really nothing else at all I want to do in life, I can't think of a single other thing I would rather do with my life. I am 30 years old and it has taken me this long to really "find myself" and who I am.

Like most of you I am a mother of 2 girls, ages 5 and 2 (Taylor and Lauryn). I worry as well about the time spent away from them but I also know to take each step at a time and not to worry to much about the future. It seems most things in life have a way of working out anyways :)

Marilyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!