× Women Premed Students

Hello I am new and have a question.

More
13 years 9 months ago #39403 by DrNguyen
This has been eating me up. Before I did not know what I really wanted to dow ith life so going to school was just like another chore to me. I didn't matter if my grades were good or bad, moreso like whatever.
So I had to take a math class over about 3 times! and now that it is on my transcript. I know what I want to do with my life and now my grades are everything to me (wierd how something like this can dramatically change you). Will this affect my transcript? what will I tell the adcoms when I do meet with them for a interview (which will be in about 5 years) I am still an undergrad!
please help it hurts to see my transcript. I feel hopeless when I see my transcript as if I can't make it anymore, like it's just too late to be a doctor because of my grades. :no: :ouch: :boxedin:

~All things are possible.~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #39404 by Sally
It's hard not to get caught up in the moment when you think a mistake can change your whole life, but you are so far (timewise) from the application process to med school, you need to re-focus your priorities. Don't just focus on the end-game. The end game often changes. It sounds as though right now you should be taking courses that interest you and you should invest your time in other extracurricular activities that will allow you to explore and help you figure out 'what you really want.' Getting the best grades you can by putting forth your best effort can only help you.

By the way, I don't think a single bad grade early in undergrad is necessarily the end to your future medical career. If you do eventually apply to med school, you'll want that 'glitch' of a bad or failed grade to be a single event that happened early in your education and was followed by a pattern of consistent good grades that show determination and consistency. Bottom line, first figure out your dream, then go for it!

SKA, MD
UC Davis School of Medicine Class of 1993
and former admissions comittee member

More
13 years 9 months ago #39405 by Empi
So, the B in Statistics hasn't ruined me?

More
13 years 9 months ago #39406 by Cabinbuilder
A "B" is stats is not the end.

I had a B in stats, trig, calc, organic, org lab and still went to med school.

I also took tons of classes multiple times. You can't look at repeating a class as failure you have to look at it as perseverence.

What they don't tell you is that many people fail classes in medical school, ALL THE TIME. You are not kicked out. The Med school likes to see that you are not a quitter in adversity and can pick yourself up to continue even in failure. Yes, grades are important but to stress over one B is ridiculous and just makes life miserable so you can't focus on the rest. Lighten up and forge ahead.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
13 years 7 months ago #39407 by C_Lecter
Hi I'm new to this forum and I am a student in a huge predicament. I attended a private University for a year and it had a miserably outcome. I obtained a very low GPA and failed my intro Chemistry class and lab. I did not return to the University because of the high cost of tuition. to make a long story short, i finished the year with a lowly 1.75 :( I have not given up pursuing medicine however. This fall or spring I want to retake Chemistry and take intro to Biology for the first time at community college. I wanted to know if I may still bring my GPA up to competitive stats to be considered for medical school. Please help I honestly can't see myself doing anything besides medicine. (want to become Psych or FP btw) P.S. sorry to go on and on any responses are really appreciated.

More
13 years 7 months ago #39408 by Cabinbuilder
yes, just take the classes over and do well. You can still get in. Most of us on this board were not stellar students in the beginning and had to overcome the same obstacles.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!