× Women Premed Students

Very discouraged...

More
15 years 5 months ago #39855 by M-A
Hi all,

I just wanted to vent for a minute. I am feeling very discouraged about pursuing medicine right now. I really, really want to do it but keep stumbling into obstacle after obstacle. It seems like whatever I do I am held back for some reason or other! :mad:

I was trying to complete my high school biology online, when the school all of a sudden gave me a month to finish all my work! I had asked the teacher when the due dates were and he simply replied "don't worry about it"! Now I have to drop it and pursue it some other time. I currently work a rotating shift so I cannot take a "real" class...

I am also trying to pay off my previous student loans, which are unfortunately in collections. I can't go back to school full time until these are paid off. I'm hoping I can do this sooner than later.

I just turned 29 and feel like time is running out. Maybe I should pursue some other medical career? I don't know...

How do you keep trying without losing hope or ambition?

*sigh*

Thanks for listening

M-A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #39856 by Amy26
Hi M-A,

Wow, you have just described my every other day mindframe. For me, the decision to go to med school is constantly questioned. I hear how tough things are for doctors in the field, how much time they spend away from home, and I just read the article Sethina posted under suicide about a GP killing herself because she just had it!!!! Yet I can't just drop the whole thing. This has been my dream for a long,long time. My fear is that I'm going to wake up when I'm 40 or 50 and wonder what would have happened if I only tried!

And so I trudge on. It's not easy, I also have to work at least a 30hr work week just to make ends meet, and this limits the number of credit hours I can take per semester; I take about 12 credits a semester. I try to take summer courses so I'm not behind. Not to mention, I'm taking my pre-reqs at a community college, since I'm paying my way through school, and I'm then going to transfer to a 4 yr college. And then you hear all that crap about med schools want to see that you can handle a full load(12 credits is obviously not a full load in their eyes :mad: !!!), and that the pre-reqs or science courses done at a community college are weighted about as equally as a pile of fresh hot horse manure :banghead: !!! Add to this the fact that I'm recovering from a really crappy academic record done about nine years ago (GPA of 2.0, a result of 2 years worth of W's, C's, and F's). Well my semester GPA is a 3.83 now, but keep in mind that it's mostly horse manure! It makes it really hard to keep focus, especially with all the odds against me. What helps is having a plan "B". I've decided that I'm also going to apply to pharmacy schools, and should all else fail, my college has a master's program that only requires one additional year of study in chemistry that I'm going to go for. I"m then going to decide whether or not I want to re-apply to pharm schools and med schools or what. NP programs are also on my list of things to check out.
The bottom line is this, I've accepted that wherever I end up is exactly where I was supposed to end up the entire time. I'm not particularly religious, but it's easier to think that there's a higher power or universal force or whatever you want to call it, that overlooks everything, and I do believe that everything happens for a reason. So I try really hard to live in the moment, and sit back and enjoy the ride.........

Amy.

More
15 years 5 months ago #39857 by bekagain
I am definitely right with you both! It is such a truggle to stay positive and focused with so many other issues - and I don't even work!

M-A - I definitely don't think that you are too old. Although I can definitely relate to that feeling of time running out. I get panicked somedays and look at all my plan Bs again. I think, "Just look how fast I could be done with this other option." Then I the more I think about that option, I realize that I need to pursue this for me - like Amy26, I don't want to wake up one day and wonder why I didn't do it before.

I mentioned this in another post I think, but I have made a "pact" with my husband that I will go after this and try not to over-analyze all the options unless something obvious comes up that says to stop (who knows what!!! ;) ). Anyway, it is a good feeling to know that I have someone that is going to help me stay focused on this even on the bad days - or especially on the bad days!!! :rolleyes: A big part of my problem is doubting myself in anything I want to do. Realizing that is a good thing because it is something I want to beat.

Thanks also to everyone here for the encouragement and challenges that you offer. Just reading other posts gives me so many things to think through and is so encouraging. Just knowing other people are even experiencing the same doubts is good, I don't feel so crazy! Or so alone crazy anyway!! :D

More
15 years 5 months ago #39858 by Marilyn
M-A, I think a lot of us "older" people can relate to what you are going through. I am 30 years old and will not even start med school (fingers crossed) until I am 33 years old. You just can't think about it like that.

We struggle with finances mainly with me being in school full time. My husband only makes $20 thousand a year and we have two little girls (ages 2.5 and 6 yrs old). I also homeschool my oldest and go to school full time myself. So I totally understand. It is not easy!! We also have had some medical bills that insurance didn't cover (about $1000), my kids spilled choc milk in the computer and ruined it ($700 for a new one), there is always something coming up.

But I do not ( or try not too..lol) let it all overwhelm me, discourage me or get me down. Sure, I have some days that are just bad and I am thinking to myself "what the hell and I doing?!"

About your classes. I take classes both in the evenings and online. The CC offers a lot of basic classes online (including math, gen bio, gen chem, gen ed) have you looked into that? Plus they are inexpensive to do (compared to university) and it keeps it flexible for you. That makes no sense that your school did that. I have *never* had that happen! Maybe try a different school for online classes, even if its farther away.

Just wanted to offer you some encouragement. I think for a lot of people (unless you are young and single and rich...haha) it is not an easy road, and it takes forever!

Marilyn

More
15 years 5 months ago #39859 by M-A
Thanks for the encouragement and sharing, it really helps! That's why I love this forum... :grouphug:

More
15 years 5 months ago #39860 by EKM
MA,
wow, that is kind of crazy your school did that! Are you sure they are an accredited school?
My friend went to this school for 2 yrs and NONE of her credits transfered. :yikes:
All that work for nothing. I take online classes and night classes. Its pretty much my only choice for now. :)
I kinda like it though...

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!