× Women Premed Students

Non-traditional majors

More
15 years 4 months ago #40109 by Amy26
Hello :wave: ,

I'm thinking about switching my major from Chemistry to Business, and still applying to med schools. Any one else with a non traditional major? Any input as far as the pros and cons of going with a non science major? I've heard both sides: I was told that you're better prepared for the MCAT's with a bio major, and I was also told that med schools are so tired of the typical bio major that they actually welcome other non-trad majors. Just thought I'd throw this out there, and see who's doing what.

Amy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #40110 by EKM
I am going to finish my undergrad degree in psychology. I really like it and can't seem to get away from it, although I want a career in medicine. :)

More
15 years 4 months ago #40111 by PremedRN
When I apply to med school, I will have an associate's degree in nursing and a bachelor's degree in Liberal Studies. To me, the pro's to this is being a well-rounded applicant educationally.....the down side of it, is well...it is not the traditional bio or chem degree, but that trend has changed with those being accepted into med school. To be truthful, I dont think it matters all that much...and them mcat, I think probably as long as you are a good starndardized test taker and have at least have been exposed to bio (at least the one year reqs)a person should do fine. That is what I think anyway!

More
15 years 4 months ago #40112 by IUmedstudent
I was accepted with a bachelors in liberal studies, although I also have a minor in both chemistry and statistics. As long as you have the pre-reqs (make sure to get A's in those classes) and do well on the MCAT, you should be fine with a business degree. I am curious though, why? I really liked chemistry.

More
15 years 4 months ago #40113 by StartingOver
You should major in what you love. I was a journalism major the first time around. (I've already graduated) and now I'm going back to school in the fall to take the prereqs for medical school.

From what I've heard, medical schools don't really care what your major is as long as you've done well in the sciences. In fact, I think the trend nowadays is that they actually prefer non-science majors (history, English, philosophy, music, dance, etc.).

Good luck! Major in business if you enjoy it or you could even double-major in business and chemistry if can handle the workload.

Love,
Stacy

More
15 years 4 months ago #40114 by Marilyn
I really don't think the med school care at all about what your major is in, majoring in a science vs non-science is a personaly thing.

What they are looking for are good grades, good MCAT and someone they feel will make a good doctor!

You have to do what you want to do, bottom line. I am majoring in Biology because for me I do enjoy it a lot and it's a good degree (fills all my pre-med requirements) and gives me options if med school doesn't work out or if I decide not to go....I can apply to Nurse Practitioner program, Physican's Assistant masters degree, Pharmacy school, etc For *me* having those options and flexibility is important.

My offical minor is in Women's Studies because that is something I love to study and it's something I am doing just for myself for my own enjoyment!

Marilyn

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!