× Women Premed Students

Non-traditional majors

More
15 years 4 months ago #40115 by Amy26

I was accepted with a bachelors in liberal studies, although I also have a minor in both chemistry and statistics. As long as you have the pre-reqs (make sure to get A's in those classes) and do well on the MCAT, you should be fine with a business degree. I am curious though, why? I really liked chemistry.

Well, I'm a loan officer for a mortgage company right now. Actually, I own my own net branch of the company. I have about 9 yrs experience in this industry, and I guess I just wanted to have my cake and eat it too... a business degree would strenghten my current position if I didn't get accepted into med school and decided to stay in my line of work. And I could still apply to pharm school also. Not to mention that I could probably complete a business degree blindfolded with my hands tied behind my back... since I'm already very well versed in most business and economic concepts and lingo. It would be a lot less effort to get and maintain a high GPA in business than in chemistry... even though I do like chemistry. I would like to minor in chem, although my school doesn't offer it. I don't know about a double major - I think these two fields are too disimilar to attempt a double major - not without putting in at least 3 extra semesters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #40116 by V-tach
"You should major in what you love. I was a journalism major the first time around. (I've already graduated) and now I'm going back to school in the fall to take the prereqs for medical school. "....Starting Over

This is funny! I was also a journalism major. I was editing the school paper, writing for a local paper and working on the yearbook staff when I did a write-up about the nursing program's tutoring program. Essentially, nursing students would donate their free time to tutor kids at local schools. In addition to this, the nursing students were able to put their therapeutic communication (a biggie in nursing) skills to good use as well as interact with a pediatric population. Anyway, I was so interested in what they were doing, I switched my major to nursing ( although I was journalism, I couldn't tear myself away from the science courses so I already had most of my pre-reqs).

To make a long story short, I finished my nursing degree, started working on a cardiac unit and then decided that I wanted to tackle med school too. So, here I am.....

(Oh, and by the way, before I was journalism, I was an English/Music major)

More
15 years 3 months ago #40117 by jenni4476
I'm debating on this....deciding between a bio or philosophy major. So I'm taking two philosophy courses this fall to see what the upper-level stuff is like. Given my nature, I think I'd be happier majoring in philosophy but I'm just nervous that if I don't take the upper-level bio stuff that I'll have a harder time of it in med school. Anyone have any experience with this-does it really help in med school to have taken biochem, immunology, etc?

More
15 years 3 months ago #40118 by blt
I was a French major, business minor the first time around. I'm a bit nervous about not having a strong science background. Oh well, I guess. :)

My boyfriend was a bio major and thinks that the upper division course that has helped him the most in medical school is histology.

More
15 years 3 months ago #40119 by PremedRN
The only upper level bio courses I will have/had when applying is bio 404 (gross anatomy) and Biochem 1 and 2, which are 500 level. Im not concerned. Soo far Ive done really well in my premed reqs, I have yet to take ochem and physics though.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!