× Women Premed Students

Want it so bad you can taste it

More
16 years 6 months ago #40191 by crystal
Oh my,
You ever want something so bad you can almost taste it, but in the back of your mind reality wants to tell you that you may not get it. I am in that situation.
I want to go to medical school so bad, but I feel like there are so many things stopping me or keeping me from going. I have 2 kids, and my husband is in the military. There is no guarentee that I will get into a school that is near a military base so I may end up being away from my kids. I would hate that. Also he wants to go to medical school also. He really wants to go to USUHS. And I know I can't get into USUHS, because I was medically discharged from the military and my discharge is not waiverable.
Second I was really really stupid my freshmen year in college. I didn't study and basically failed my whole first year, then my second year, my mother died and I had a baby! Now I am on a much better trend. I have had a recent cum gpa of at least 3.5, however with those bad years, my actual cum is not that high, and if I manage to get a 4.0 the rest of my career in college, I may be able to get it to a 3.2
I will do great on the MCAT's I know it. I guess I need a pep talk. I have always wanted to be a Dr. I have always been a firm believer in that you can do anything you put your mind to, and I will teach my children that. However, it is easier said then done. You get discouraged and it is easy to loose focus. I am the first one in my family to even go to college, and I want to go all the way. I love people and want to help anyone and everyone that I can.
What do I do? Anyone out there been in my situation and gotten accepted into a medical school? Help me!!!
I am sure there are lots of these posted, but I am so serious, that sometimes the thought of me not being able to do what I have wanted my whole life, makes me cry.
Thank you everyone!!
Crystal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #40192 by femdoc
I'll I can tell you is to follow your dreams. And if medicine is something you truely want, then you will get there. You just have to believe in yourself, and be patient. Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off our goals. The road ahead is not an easy one... but it isn't easy for anyone, we all have obstacles we have to overcome, some obstacles are bigger than others, but if we keep our eyes on our goals, those obstacles become smaller and smaller, until they no longer exist. 10 years from now you'll be in your residency, and you'll be thinking back on today, and you'll be proud of where you are because of what you had to overcome, not inspite of it.

More
16 years 6 months ago #40193 by Duck
Crystal,
Femdoc is right...you must keep your eyes on the prize. If you really want this...you must keep going and deal with everything that comes your way.

I have had the year from hell :eek: Illnesses, financial, you name it. I recently was able to get back on track with the post-bacc classes. When things happen you really have to tell yourself that "this obstacle will pass and I am going to be a doctor."

I know it sounds like just words, but as Femdoc said, everyone here can identify. That's why this site is so wonderful! I believe that you can do it!! Your passion jumped right out from your reply :) Remember that you are only human...take it one day at a time...keep your eyes on the prize... and do your absolute best!

More
16 years 6 months ago #40194 by Dr. SomeDay
Nope, don't give up! I don't want you passing by a doctors office ten years from now and bawling your eyes out about how you could have been a doctor. :weeping: You have to be optimistic and make a list of your dreams and them right down what things each day are you doing to help reach your dreams and what things you are doing that are not helping you achieve this dream and then cut back on the bad ones. This really helped me see the big picture. If you need to go away to med school, then is there any one that you know who is willing to travel with you so that she can stay with your children while you are at med school so that you don't have to be away from you children. That is what I hope to be doing. I would also encourage you to pray.... alot! There is destiny and purpose and you will find your place in life. I believe in you and all the women here, strong may you remain and be great examples for your children and amaze those around you.
"a women is like a tea bag you never realize her strenght untill you stick her in hot water"

More
16 years 6 months ago #40195 by tammy
I can totally relate to what you are going through. I want to be a dr. so bad that the thought of not being one makes me almost cry, too. It is definitely a long journey, but it is worth it. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Obstacles and setbacks will happen, just stay focused on your dream. Right now, my husband is laid off for an indefinite period of time so I will have to take a year off school. Obstacles like this will just me stronger and more determined. And yes, like Dr. Someday said, pray a lot...Good luck on your journey!

More
16 years 6 months ago #40196 by gonnabeadoc
I agree with DR.Someday 100%. Dont think she could have sad it any better. Also the other posts are great too. What keeps me motivated through it all is that in the long run I dont want to feel like I didnt even try and give it my all. Anything worth having there will be some sacrificing and obstacles along the way. Keep your head up and don't give up, it will be so beautiful in the end.

"God did not promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain; but he did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way ."

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!