× Women Premed Students

Schools offering on campus housing for families

More
17 years 5 months ago #40589 by healthyplus
Thanks to all of you that answered my question! I feel like I am going nowhere in life, and want to pursue my goal of becoming a health professional. The only way for me to do it is by going away to school, and having my children on campus with me! Thanks again, and I will call up all of those schools. Preferably the east coast, although I was stationed in San Diego about 7 years ago, and I loved it!

Motto for today: We conquer by continuing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #40590 by CaLiGirL:)
HealthyPlus,

I can't speak for any other schools b/c I didn't do much research in that area. However, I live in family-housing myself affiliated with the university in which I attend. My apartment isn't on-campus it's app. 10 min. away from campus which I have no problem with at all. The apartment that I got is really nice. It is nicer than many of the surrounding apartments and is much cheaper than the average rent around here. Mine runs for app. $1000/mo for a 2 bedroom whereas the average rent is anywhere from $1400-2000+/month for a 2 bedroom.

I'm sure many universities have something of this sort. The only downside is that most of these types of apartments/housing have waitlists. I waited about 1 year to get my place. My apartment community accepts married couples, married couples with a kid or more, or graduate students, medical residents, etc. So, it's kinda cool cuz in my building alone I have many resident doctors, or medical students as neigbors. Surprisingly, many of them have families!

Hope this long and boring reply helped just a tad bit :rolleyes: .

By the way, I attend UCLA...If that helps any.

Annie :cool:

More
17 years 5 months ago #40591 by laura
HI Laramisa!
I do not know if your question was to me or not, but the University of Iowa does have childcare. I don't know a lot about it, but I'm pretty sure that there is a daycare on campus. Try the schools homepage. www.uiowa.edu Hope this helps!

-Laura

More
17 years 5 months ago #40592 by healthyplus
This message is for CaLiGirL:

Thank you for that information. How do you pay for your housing? Do you work at the same time? Or do you use financial aid? I wouldn't mind waiting one year. I called University of California at Riverside, and they told me the waiting list was about a year long. Thanks again!

Jada :)

More
17 years 5 months ago #40593 by CaLiGirL:)
healthyplus,

TRY to go to UCLA if you can...just my opinion ;) . Well, we pay for the apartment by financial aid. We pull out as many loans as we could possibly pull (subsidized, unsubsidized) and we also get a certain amount in grants for each quarter...don't know that number, but I'll find out if you want.

You should be able to get quite a bit in FA b/c of your children...My husband also works, but it's an internship and he gets paid close to nothing. You know how internships are right? He will be working only part-time when school starts, so the money will decrease further by then.

We struggle without a doubt. It's all about having a good financial brain and being on top of your finances. It's really time consuming. We use tons of credit cards as well, and use the loan money to pay them off. This way we build our credit, and the loans from school has a much lower APR than the credit cards. My husband is quite good at what he does, for goodness sakes, he studies these things in school (also attends UCLA).

If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help as much as I possibly can.

Take care ;) ,

Annie

More
17 years 5 months ago #40594 by Brenda May
If you were stationed in San Diego then you might consider Touro University COM. They took over part of the old navy base on Mare Island in Vallejo, CA. They have fully subsidized family housing, 3 bedroom/2 bath for $1100/month plus utilities (right next to the school). The school has only been open for 6 years so I don't know about the daycare options but I do know a lot of married/family students attend there now. One other nice thing - they kept security, no one gets on the island without a reason to be there and so it is safer than most neighborhoods.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!