× Women Premed Students

What is YOUR reason?

More
11 years 3 months ago #40748 by mamabear
Being more or less retired (is a mom ever allowed to call herself 'retired'?) I am motivated naturally to let my authentic self surface in ways I had never imagined. My drive to research, to educate myself and others, to be a benefactor, to serve plus my strong left-brain logician and analyst mixed with my progressive inner activist have brought me to the edge of medicine and medical research, particularly with the pregnancy and birth of my daughter.

I aspire to be like the physicians I admire. I hope to fill a need I see serving mothers and children specifically. I have sought other ways to reach my goals, but medicine and research seem to provide the broadest reach to serve the most for the greatest good.

The only caveat is that I must be able to achieve this without sacrificing love and devotion to my family. The institution of medicine was not created with the benefit of an individual family's well-being in mind. I see this also as a place to help reform. Healthy doctors with healthy lives can most fully heal others.

While making money (as a semi-retired entrepreneur) is a great way to help institute reform, the knowledge of the human body, the ability to care in such a visceral way, fills my personal need to care for others.

I have always been a giver and have always been fiercely independent and an autodidactt. Becoming a physician and researcher fulfill my life's goals outside of my familial, personal goals. I see no other way.

"To see a world in a grain of sand,<br />And a heaven in a wild flower,<br />Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,<br />And eternity in an hour." - William Blake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #40749 by HSTMD2Be
I am a Health Science teacher and I have dreamed of being a doctor since I was a teenager. I did not grow up in a secure family environment and I ended up being raised by my grandmother. I did not learn to believe in myself until I got older. I married my HS sweetheart at the age of 19 and we had 2 children during undergrad. They are now ages 4 and 5. My husband is living out his dream and is currently in Veterinarian school. I chose teaching for the time off to make up for lost time with my kids during undergraduate school. I want to either specialize in pediatrics or child adolescent psychiatry. I teach high school and I have a wonderful connection with teens and children but especially teens. So we will see how things go. I hope to apply to medical school in the next 2-3 years, after my husband completes Vet school. Any other teachers out there? Probably not...

The most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or heard, they must be felt within your heart. ~Hellen Keller

More
11 years 3 months ago #40750 by Popcorn
I grew up in a family of teachers... and every one of them said "DON'T BE A TEACHER!!!" Of course, they qualified that by, "Well, if you marry rich, then you can be a teacher."

Both grandparents, mom, aunt and uncle.

So I went to college, became a TA and loved it. And cut into a rat, did an ovariectomy, and LOVED it. And spent the next month trying to talk myself out of it. Didn't work.

Decided to go to med school to be a surgeon.

Thank God, I fell in love with EM along the way. (Or I'd be at work and not posting)

9 years later (9? 10?), I am now an associate professor of Medicine (how cool is that?!?! ) but don't have teaching responsibilities other than supervising PAs. For now. We're going to get residents in a couple of months.

Maybe I should have been a vet.

(I do love medicine, but have 5+ dogs and 2 cats - and NO human children.)

Enough randomness. Good luck, ladies.

More
11 years 3 months ago #40751 by Doc201X
I'm a former teacher....and also a former a lot of other things too. Like Popcorn, I'm looking forward to a career in Academia, likely as an Adjunct to my main gig as a Fed.

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
11 years 3 months ago #40752 by SW to MD
It's the combination of science, a helping profession, and leadership. I have been in social work, but I missed the required knowledge of the human body and biochemistry.

I will never forget coming home from a neurobiology class and telling my husband "I held a human brain today!" I was awe-struck and so excited.

He was turning green and looking at me like I had left my marbles back in the lab!

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

More
11 years 3 months ago #40753 by FutureMommyMD
Mine was the simple fact that there is only one way to satisfy my desire... By becoming a Radiologist or ER-Doctor... :rolleyes:

I have tried to become a RN, Meteorologist, Pharmacist etc... and every time I end up thinking of me becoming an MD! :scratchchin:

"A goal without a plan is just a wish"

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!