× Women Residents

in residency - now on bedrest

More
9 years 4 months ago #75201 by emmd2012
Hi, everyone,
I'm a second year EM resident with a due date in September. But, I've been on bedrest for the last week now. I'm 31 weeks right now. I was doing totally fine with pregnancy until one day there was a 180 turn; I was taken out of work abruptly by my OB when my fetal fibronectin came back positive.

Anyone else been here or have some advice?

I feel like some of the residents resent this which is frustrating. It's not like I'm not tough enough; I can't keep working because it will likely lead to early delivery. I'm also trying to figure out if I'll have to extend residency or not. *sigh*
It's just all very frustrating. Can anyone commiserate with me? :)

Thanks!
emmd2012

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #75211 by babylove
sorry--i know it can be frustrating when things do go as we planned! try not to worry about what the other residents think, if they don't understand, they will someday when they have kids of their own. (they'll probably think, how did she manage all that so well!?) also, i'd not worry too much about extending residency, a couple months tacked onto the end probably won't seem like such a big deal when the time comes! i'm sure you won't ever regret doing what is best for that little kiddo!

More
9 years 4 months ago #75214 by residentmom
You can work later, you can only carry this baby now. Also, you'll have this child forever, your residency classmates will move on. So focus on carrying to term and deal with the rest later.

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
9 years 4 months ago #75239 by Emily2651
I did four or five months of bedrest when I was pregnant with my son. It's miserable! Adding to the misery, I had plenty of time to review the entire world literature on bedrest, and as you probably already know, it's thin to say the least. Which made the experience all the more frusterating. OTOH, my son was born perfectly healthy at 39w6d; I'm not sure how I would live with myself if I had gotten out of bed and suffered a bad outcome, even knowing intellectually that the two are probably unrelated. The one thing I would do differently if I had it to do again is that I'd try to find some safe way to exercise a bit in bed. I wonder if insurance would cover home physical therapy or something similar. It's incredible the deconditioning that happens when you're on bedrest.

Hang in there!

Oh, and WRT the ire of your residency colleagues and the possibility of graduating late: small potatoes. Who cares?

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen
Last Edit: by .

More
9 years 4 months ago #75242 by southernbelle
Hey emmd2012, this sounds crazy but I hope it makes you feel better. I am a lowly soon-to-be 3rd year med student, no babies until residency b/c of money, husband is very reluctant, etc. I'd kill to be in your shoes right now! I am praying for a safe and happy delivery of your new baby and congratulations on your little miracle!

More
9 years 4 months ago #75243 by huskerdoc
Can totally relate. My son was born at 31 6/7 GA during my 2nd year of residency. Had a great pregnancy until 1 week before he was born when my water broke in the NICU. Bedrest and MgSo4 were terrible and I felt terribly guilty, but take it from me, you cannot worry about anyone else. Worry about staying healthy and keeping the baby healthy. You have pulled your weight and will do so again after maternity leave! My son was born in the fall and stayed in the NICU for 2 weeks. I stayed home with him for 3 months after he returned home and extended my residency by 2 months. It was no big deal and I really enjoyed the time I spent with him. When I went back, I worked just as hard as everyone else and you will too!

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!