× Women Residents

in residency - now on bedrest

More
9 years 4 months ago #75244 by HAM
Just a reminder, this forum is for residents only. Everyone is free to view posts but is limited to resident feedback.

I agree with Emily 100%. Unfortunately, there is no amount of "tough" that can dictate physiology. I was on bedrest for 6 weeks and shudder to think about the guilt I would feel if I had not followed it and there was a bad outcome. You are 6 weeks from "full term" and depending on your doc, 7-8 weeks away from it being acceptable to be off bed rest. I've known many women who have extended their residencies briefly and had no qualms about it. Its a month or so.

However, there are a number of things you could do:
- read medical literature
- read for FUN
- catch up on missed seasons of the hit TV shows
- abuse your Netflix Membership
- learn to knit or quilt or something
- buy Rosetta Stone and learn a knew language
- tweet, tweet and more tweets
- start a blog with advertisements that will pay you
- read some good parenting books - about breastfeeding (if planned) and sleep strategies especially
- Insist on gourmet breakfast/lunch/dinner in bed, mani-pedis weekly and frequent back massages from your partner.
- There are forums for bedrested women - I can't remember what they are but they are kind of nice.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - rest. It is what it is. Can't change it now. It will be worth it. Your colleagues can stick it if they harbor the least bit of resentment for this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #75261 by SugaMama
Dear emmd2012,

This is my first post, but your topic really hit home with me. I have been through your same situation. I just graduated last month from a small peds program. I was on bedrest during my 2nd year of residency when I was 31 weeks - 37 weeks pregnant. I was on NICU rotation at the time, and the stress of caring for little infants (some who died too soon) sent me right into preterm labor. See, I begged my Ob-Gyn to go back to work, and then I went back into preterm labor 3 days later, and went on bedrest. My fellow residents were angry because I missed 2 calls and a few even called when I was about 35 weeks, asking when I was going to come back to work!

I learned that: 1. God and family come first, 2. Work can be made up at a later time (the chief and program directors rescheduled my call and rotations, so I could graduate on time), and 3. True friends are made/discovered in tough situations.

Oh, I cried a lot, felt guilty, and complained about sitting at home. But in the end, when I delivered a healthy baby boy at 39 weeks, it was all worth it. Then, my husband and I decided to have another baby--so, I got pregnant during my 3rd year and timed it better. Plus, I gained a true friend (also a 3rd yr resident in my class) who was pregnant at the same time. I made it through residency, and had another full-term, healthy baby boy last week. I can't imagine life without my boys! Being pregnant twice in residency was rough, but I don't regret anything about it.

Enjoy your bedrest, watch TV, read books, and lean on your family and loved ones for support. I pray that you have a healthy baby :)

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #75319 by MamahoodMD
Hello,

this topic hit home for me too. Sorry you have to go through this. It is so sad that the very same people who claim to have a life mission of healing and helping others can be the most unsympathetic and self-centered people you may meet.

As a 3rd year OB resident I had to go on bedrest from 26 weeks onward because of significant cervical shortening. I was being monitored due to a history of preterm labor at 24 wks. So with my second pregnancy, naturally I dealt with guilt from all sides. I felt so guilty about leaving extra work and call to my colleagues, but I would also never forgive myself for letting history repeat itself. I decided that my child comes first. After all, those residents who resent you for a situation which you have no control over are not worth your time and energy. At least you know who your true friends are (they would be the ones concerned about your safety and the life of your child.)

You can use this time to study, read articles, read leisurely, and shop online for your new arrival. I was really bummed that I couldn't walk around and enjoy the nesting experience in the usual way, but the internet certainly made up for it, and this time, I got to bring a healthy 36 weeker home! Hang in there. You'll see, it'll all be worth it. :)
Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago #75553 by jasb
I also relate. I had twins 6 months ago, bedrest from 28 weeks to 37. I had a hard time with bedrest, as I got a bit depressed. Try to stay as active as possible. I was a little extreme- so worried that I would lay all day on my left side until my hips hurt. But just wanted to tell you that I completely relate. Best of luck. I'm thinking of big, chubby, pink babies for you!

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!