× Women Residents

How are the interns doing? (and everyone else?)

More
6 years 6 months ago #84251 by AmmaMD
Hey all! Just wanted to check in on how everyone, especially this year's interns, were doing at this point.

I realized we're just coming to the end of the period I found the hardest last year... everyone holding up ok??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #84389 by Dr.MoM
This year has been great so far!....not nearly as bad as I imagined it would be. My 15 month old is thriving, my husband and I are doing well, and I'm holding my head above water at work.

However, I am still working on tweaking a few things.....specifically, finding time to read/independent learning. I'm getting a little stressed that I am going to be an upper level in a few short months :-0

Also, if anyone has any advice for preparing for step 3, I would be VERY grateful. I've done a lot of questions on USMLEWORLD over the last couple months but not nearly ready yet. I'm on a wards month now (1.5 weeks left) and then will have 10 days on elective month (excluding easter weekend) to study before I take the test! Any advice????

:)

More
6 years 6 months ago #84398 by lyn2006
Don't worry too much about Step 3! What type of residency are you in? I did a transitional type intern year (now I'm in anesthesia residency) and found that just reading through FirstAid and doing some questions prepared me plenty. Make sure you go to the website to read about how they structure the second day. The "cases" are not multiple choice and you just have to learn how to take the test.

Good luck, and glad you're doing well!

More
6 years 5 months ago #84401 by AmmaMD
I agree - don't stress too much about Step 3. 10 days is plenty. I agree it's totally worth it to make sure you go through as many practice-versions of the weird interactive part as you can (plus, actually, they're kind of fun...), since a lot of it is just getting a sense of what they're wanting you to do. Other than that, I did a bunch of USMLEWORLD questions, and did way better than I needed to.

I'm so glad to hear the year is going great!! It makes me realize that on this board, we sometimes have the opposite problem of facebook - people on balance post more when they're struggling with something and looking for support, which is totally reasonable... but means people who "get a sense of how it is to be a mom in medicine" are going to get a skewed perspective. It's great to hear some random positive updates, too!

More
6 years 5 months ago #84421 by Dr.MoM
Thanks for the advice ya'll! I'll definantly use it....I haven't started going through the cases yet-maybe I'll start that now. I'm in pediatrics btw.

Yeah, I agree....we post when we're either very happy or very sad right? lol.

Where are all the other interns?

More
6 years 1 month ago #85987 by nbp
Hey all,

I wanted to revive this thread to talk some more about studying for Step 3. I am doing 6 months of pediatrics internship prior to starting psychiatry, so unfortunately not getting the kind of background prep one would get doing EM or IM. Also, my last clinical rotation in med school was at the beginning of 4th year. I know some people say just a couple days for Step 3 is sufficient; others caution not to blow it off for fear of not passing.

So, I am debating what to do. I have some time off in September and will take it then. I need to figure out how many study days to give myself before scheduling the test. I really don't want to spend more time than absolutely necessary on it, but obviously I don't want to fail, either. Luckily I do tend to be a good test taker. I loved USMLE World for steps 1 and 2 - is it important for step 3? $100 (one month subscription) is not horrible but if it's not necessary I'd rather not spend it. I suppose other options include just reading through a review book, like First Aid.

Any recommendations?

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!