× Women Residents

OB appointments in residency

More
5 years 5 months ago #89339 by Dr.MoM
Guess what? I have a positive pregnancy test! Yay! I'm super excited...this is number 2 for me! I'm also a little stressed as this happen earlier than planned....Ha ha, we can't always time things though.

Anyway, last time I was pregnant I was a 4th year and could really take care of things when I needed without a problem. As a PGY2/PGY3, this might be tricky. I've already run into a small problem. I called my OB and told her I had a positive pregnancy test and that I thought I might also have a UTI and a little cramping. She went ahead and had me go give a urine sample for culture and I did my pre-natal labs with a HCG. Great! But then her nurse was insistent that I come for a follow-up this week on a certain day, certain time because that was all that was available because someone had just canceled. I told her that would be difficult to do and she said I had to. Well anyway, I'm looking at my schedule and of course I'm starting the NICU this week and that is my first call day.

Which is more inappropriate: call the OB back and tell them I just can't (they are apparently booked most of the month as usual) or when I start NICU on Sunday tell the fellow I'm going to miss rounds on my 4th day of NICU-the day I'm on call (the fellow is very high strung)?

Opinions on residency and OB appointments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #89340 by newmommdphd
I'd call back the OB office and leave a message for the doctor herself, saying you want to speak directly with her. When she calls back, I'd explain you're a resident, etc. and ask her personally if she has any flexibility to fit you in another day as an overbook. If she refuses, then I'd ask the fellow next. And I'd look for another OB who has evening/weekend appointments that would work better with residency. There are OB offices that do this. Or a family practice office that does prenatal care (evenings/weekends) that can monitor your pregnancy, if you're comfortable with that. But in the end - baby comes first. My two cents.

More
5 years 5 months ago #89347 by asunshine
My OB had 2 half-day clinics per week, which made it hard to schedule. One thing that helped was that I was willing to go to the resident clinic for appointments if she couldn't get me in her regular clinic. It all worked out...somehow...

Is the OB on the same campus as your hospital? That might make it less of a big deal. OB appointments (if there is no wait) last all of 10 minutes and you can get your labs done at work. Maybe if there is a wait, you could have them page you when it's nearing your time. Or work on the EHR at their office if they have a spare computer.

More
5 years 5 months ago #89350 by Dr.MoM
Thanks for the replies! Maybe I'll try to call Monday then and see what happens!

Man, I wish it was the same campus. My children's hospital actually isn't connected to a delivery hospital at all. I live about 35-45 min from work and therefore my OB is 35-45 min from work (it's the same OB from my first pregnancy with the hospital literally across the street from my house). So, any OB appointment or labs are not convenient to work. As I remember it, she was always running late too so appointments can take a little while. I liked her last time so I hate to switch....

More
5 years 4 months ago #89593 by Maggie80
I saw an OB at medical facility where I work during my pregnancy. It was relatively easy because her office was a very close walk away but I still found it hard to schedule appointments because her appointments started after my own clinic had started in the morning and finished before my last patient of the day. I ended up trying to schedule the majority of my appointments during lunch conference (i'm a resident), and letting my attending know that I needed to leave a few minutes early or return a few minutes late because of an appointment. I also let my OB know that I'm a resident and she was willing to let me come a little early so I wouldn't be late for my own patients.

You'll so many appointments with your OB- I would vote that you find someone who is closer and more convenient to you!

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!