× Women Residents

food and dehydration

More
6 years 3 months ago #90346 by nerdy
Don't "ask" for a lunch break. Just say, I'm going to grab some food, do you want anything? Plus, just have your pager/cell phone/spectra link phone in case.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #90347 by newmommdphd
I always have my pager on and I answer all pages from the cafeteria. I just ask for a few minutes if the request requires putting in an order. But I will definitely keep taking lunch breaks. And I carry snacks on me too. Sometimes there's a macho ethos about medicine in terms of not needing to eat, sleep, etc. I do need those things so I am trying to prioritize them.

More
6 years 3 months ago #90348 by megboo

nerdy wrote: Don't "ask" for a lunch break. Just say, I'm going to grab some food, do you want anything? Plus, just have your pager/cell phone/spectra link phone in case.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way in surgery. You never tell them what you're going to do. Maybe a senior resident can, but not an intern.

On the other hand, where I'm at, they make sure you at least get some lunch.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

More
6 years 3 months ago #90352 by newmommdphd
Yes, megboo, totally true. And this is why I did not go in to surgery. My hats off to those who do - I could not handle it.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!