× Women Residents

food and dehydration

More
6 years 3 months ago #90313 by Popcorn
You do. You will. NORMAL! It's been, what, 3 days??? Give yourself a break! ;)

Another trick I used was to always carry gum. My code gum, I called it. Because if that stupid pager went off, it would be at least 2 hours before I would have a chance for any intake, so it was my internal signal to tell my stomach to shut up. Worked really well one I trained my body. Still do it in a pinch.

I often go a full shift without food, and sometimes don't get to the bathroom. Sort of just how it is in the ED sometimes, but I try to snack if I can. Granola bar in the pocket is not a bad idea, either. And I'm no stranger to the little tubs of peanut butter. A couple of those babies, some graham crackers, and a diet ginger ale go a long way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #90337 by megboo
I am also not eating well. I've already lost the pounds I gained after I moved to town and had a few weeks to sample local cuisine.

The hospital stocks drinks for docs, so I always have one in hand. I start pre-rounds at 4:30-5a daily so usually it's a diet coke or coffee in hand, but t still counts. Definitely peeing a lot lol.

I do eat a good lunch - they are big on getting lunch here. Breakfast and supper are hit or miss though. And no lunch on holidays or night float (boo).

2 weeks into intern year now, I realized I will weigh 1/2 of my current weight if I keep this up lol. Too much! I like the gum idea.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

More
6 years 3 months ago #90342 by nerdy
put granola bars crackers etc in your pockets to eat when you can. Stop at every drinking fountain during rounds and drink.

More
6 years 3 months ago #90343 by newmommdphd
I eat 3 meals every day, no matter what. If necessary I ask my resident for a lunch break. It's one of my personal rules. I care for myself the best I can so I have energy to care for others. I bring a water bottle to work, drink water on rounds, and leave to use the bathroom whenever I need to. I feel we must care for and advocate for ourselves. No one else will.

More
6 years 3 months ago #90344 by jonesie
Newmom - yes. Continue to take care of yourself, and fellow colleagues. Remember next year to look for new interns who need a nudge to do the same. I am fairly certain that most programs want/expect interns to be eating regular meals - I know it's hard and there is always one more thing to get done, but newmom has it right. This is a long haul, ladies. Remember the first few weeks of newborn baby-dom with your first kid?!? If you were anything like me, you were exhausted, emotional, scared, insecure, frustrated, overwhelmingly excited, and busy busy busy. And, if you were like me after a few weeks of turning down offers of help you called your partner/mom/bestie/lady down the street sobbing and begging them to come over so you could take a shower. Now, get some sleep, take a deep breath, and care for yourself. Soon, you'll be the resident telling the interns the same. Self-care skills will help you for the rest of your life - as a mom as well as a physician. If you are having trouble with this, reach out for some guidance from someone at your program. I promise you are not the only one struggling and it is not a sign of weakness to take 15 min to eat :)
Last Edit: by .

More
6 years 3 months ago #90345 by newmommdphd
The first two days I did not take the time to eat and got overwhelmed. Then my husband explained not all pages are urgent. I took a deep breath a told a pharmacist/nurse who called when I was eating that I would address their question in 10 minutes. And everything has been fine. So now I am more comfortable taking time to eat and drink, and I plan to keep asking for lunch breaks every day if I don't get them automatically.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!