× Women Residents

ER rotation

More
5 years 11 months ago #91290 by niash
So, did my ER rotation for the last few weeks and I am in love with it. I did a couple of months even as a med student and liked it a lot. I did not apply for EM residency mainly because I convinced myself that I am too old to be an ER physician. So, ended up in FM.

The quesiton is - I don't even know how to go about switching residencies. Is it pretty much impossible? Also, I think a FM+EM combo would be ideal for me, unfortunately I can not relocate to those areas, husband is pretty set on where he wants to live and raise family.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91294 by nerdy
Does your hospital have an EM program? That may be the easiest way without moving.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91296 by niash
Yep, I am doing a ER rotaiton within the same hospital system.

More
5 years 11 months ago #91297 by nerdy
Does your hospital have an EM residency (ER is a tv show, ED is the place, EM is the residency field)?

More
5 years 11 months ago #91298 by southernmd
I would definitely try to transfer into the EM residency at your hospital if you can. I agree with nerdy - definitely the easiest route. Also, I think EM can be a fantastic career for older docs, because you can quite literally set your own schedule. You could work 10 shifts a month if you want, which may work for you especially if your husband also works - you would be around for your kids a lot. Good luck!

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #91299 by niash
we have a tertiary care ER, with a very well established EM residency. Largest in the state. ;)

Seriously, how do I go about making the switch? Will I be making my FM PD mad if I try transferring? What is the guaruntee that the EM PD would like me enough? I do keep working hard to make an impression...

Thanks for all your help!
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!