× Women Residents

Advice for the new interns???

More
4 years 4 months ago #94170 by SW to MD
Hi all-

I can't believe I am actually posting in the resident board! I start residency in a few short weeks, and want to see what advice y'all have for me and the rest of the new interns out there?

I have some books to start reading, but what else can I do now to make this year better? Any tips for starting on the floor? What about step 3? UWorld again? When do you get it? Tips on working reading time into life? Strategies on the wards?

Any advice totally welcome. Current interns, you are almost there- we will be starting orientation in 2-3 weeks at most programs! :)

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #94505 by megboo
Books - what is your specialty again? If it's medicine - that Handbook of Internal medicine is a great pocket resource. I tended to just read for the rotation I was on, but most of it was gen surg :/

Step 3 - Uworld, UWorld, UWorld. I also read a couple books - MTB, CS3, FA but the questions are key. Do them ALL. I got it one month before the exam and busted my butt to do all the questions.

Reading - photocopy a chapter of a book or an article and carry something in your pocket every day. Or use ipad/kindle. But read at least 30 mins daily.

Wards - one piece of advice I was given.. if you're thinking about doing something for a patient, then act on it. But medicine is a different animal from surgery. We didn't spend more than an hour on rounds, even with 40 people on our list. So not a lot of time to discuss with attendings, but our chief and upper level residents were great resources in the beginning. Eventually you reflexively do what needs to be done for a patient each morning.

Intern year, especially the beginning is stressful. You'll eventually get the hang of it and start feeling like a real doctor.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

More
4 years 2 months ago #94857 by niash
So, I like my new place. I started taking initiative to help out, contribute more etc. A couple of seniors told me today to sleep more on call because I will get burned out otherwise. What is the happy medium where you are not seen as a slacker but you are not seen overly agressive either? I would rather be known as a strong intern than a lazy one....

More
4 years 2 months ago #94859 by southernmd
I would say do your job and what it requires. I showed up on time every day, but not 20 minutes early. I did not sleep much on call, but it was because of normal patient care - not doing extra work or others' jobs. I think thoroughness is good, but make sure you are still leaving in good time, being efficient in order to finish your work and get home etc. Does that make sense?

More
4 years 2 months ago #94860 by niash
Yes, it does. It takes time to become efficient with new EMR systems etc. But, I will limit extending my help to only when it is absolutely needed. On the good side, they did tell me I was doing a terrific job, doing everything right etc. I honestly don't know how to sleep intermittently. On a rare occasion, thefloor is completely quiet, I do get few hrs of sleep but not on a regular basis. For eg, if I have a DKA patient I am monitoring rather regularly, I don't see the point of sleeping...

More
4 years 2 months ago #94861 by southernmd
That seems pretty normal - I truly didn't sleep much on call. Some others on the same rotation did. I always wondered how, because I was pretty busy every night. Keep doing what you are doing, and you are right - EMR can suck the hours out of you. Keep being a team player, but take care of yourself too. You'll find your own rhythm. I definitely did, and if in the end I worked a little harder than others - that was fine, because I had a peace about my work. Make sure in the end you are proud of the work you are doing, and you will keep doing well.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!