× Women Residents

Intern Year Prep & Audio Medicine Recs

More
3 years 5 months ago #95803 by westcoastmd
I'm starting a family medicine residency this summer, which I couldn't be more thrilled about! However, now that the proverbial dust has settled (Step 2's in 3rd trimester, had a baby in Sept, applications, interviews, nursing/pumping while traveling, etc), I've had time to decompress and just "be" for the past few months. BUT the reality that I haven't had patient contact in almost a year is setting in.

So, I ask, if anyone has been in my situation (out of clinical setting/patient contact for a long-ish amount of time prior to residency) or anyone who has thoughts on this- what would you recommend to "prep" (ha!) for intern year? Any particular books, videos, question banks? Anything to help me feel at my baseline? I feel like I've forgotten a lot and am not in the "groove" of it all. I need a few clutch resources to read/review during naptime so I regain some confidence. (And, before it's recommended...yes, I am enjoying this time at home with my 2 wonderful babies & husband. I'm also thinking I could swap some of my social media time for medical learning time.)

Also, as of now, I will have a commute for my residency (this may change depending on how it's working out for us). I plan to use my drive home to decompress and am hoping to use the drive to/from the hospital for myself...whether this be audio books, prayer, making calls to friends/family, silence, medical podcasts, music, etc. Does anyone have any medical or other audio podcasts or other audio medical material that they recommend? I figure that I won't have time to do a ton of reading, but I will be able to listen.

I'd love to hear from others who have been in my situation before. Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #95805 by ctenj
Haven't been in your situation so can't provide any good resources to use... BUT, I will say that I think you'll pick everything back up pretty easily (with maybe a rough first few weeks). I was out of the clinical setting for 6 years (PhD and then a year completely off to allow my husband to finish his residency and for me to enjoy our two boys (our second born at the start of the year off) and then started my "major clinical year" with students who had been on rotations for 6 months already. I'll be honest... the first few weeks were very very rough partly because of childcare issues, partly because our kids had trouble adjusting, but most of all because it had been 6 years since I had done anything clinical. Neuro had also never been my strength and it definitely showed :) However, by my second rotation (6-7 weeks in), I felt like I had mostly caught up and while there were definitely gaps particularly in my fund of knowledge, they were less and less noticeable as each week went on. I'm sure it'll be the same with you!

I'll be in a similar situation again thanks to being off-cycle (will finish rotations in early Oct so will have a long gap before June/July) so am looking forward to hearing any of the other suggestions. I'm planning to do peds so will probably just read a bit of NEJM & Peds in Review just to keep my brain working :)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: westcoastmd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!