× Women Residents

Switching specialty

More
1 year 6 months ago #96808 by Turnaround
I am currently in the middle of surgical residency and am going through the match again. I told my program director back in November about my decision, and said I would finish the year unless they could find someone to replace me sooner (my current year of training is not a prerequisite for what I am applying in).

They hired someone to start in July. Meanwhile, I have been sinking into a pretty bad depression. There were a couple weeks where I was actually a risk to myself. I clearly am not doing my job to the level I should and my emotions have been really hard to manage. I've started to try to get help (should have done sooner) but I just wish I could resign to work on myself and get to a better place prior to starting over in a new training program. Obviously this would put my co residents in a huge bind and I would feel terrible about that. I can't figure out at what point to put myself (my mental health, energy, time to prepare for new field) ahead of my current program. Would appreciate outside perspective.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #141092 by efex101
I am very sorry you’re going through this, I just saw this message had been a while since I’ve been back on this forum. I hope that you’re doing well and things have worked out for you. Feel free to reach out and PM me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!