× Women Residents

Openings in surgery not advertised??

More
12 years 4 months ago #52801 by DrWuStar*
<<WuStar sneaks into residents forum>>

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy for you.

<<Wu runs on tiptoes back to med students forum hoping to get away before being yelled at>>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #52802 by SurgChick
Wow, that's great, congrats! What program are you going to?

PGY-3, General Surgery

More
12 years 3 months ago #52803 by Cabinbuilder
It's a DO program. St. John's Episcopal Hospital. Not the location I hoped for but then again I have gotten this far by the long winding road. It's a chance to be a surgeon, guaranteed. I can't ask for any more than that. Only 3 weeks to go for me in intern year. I already have my house packed, take step III the end of end and the next phase begins.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

More
12 years 2 months ago #52804 by Cabinbuilder
Update, I know you guys are going to KILL me but at this point I have been crying for 2 days straight. I feel very misled about this program. It is worse than a third world country. I will not subject myself to such liability and bad medicine. I have been sent home today for "vacation" to think it over since I couldn't stop crying today. I have decided to jump off this boat of misery and go back to paradise in Texas and finish family practice. I was a fool not to heed wise advice a few months ago about not "settling" and waiting for the program that fit me. I didn't heed that warning and now I am in a huge mess that is sooo miserable. Being a surgeon at this point is not worth it to me. I cannot find housing anywhere safe, I can't find anyplace to rent to me since I have kids, the rent is outrageous, I'm scared to drive anywhere. It's not worth it. The program, the people are soo rude. There is no help. It's unbeleivable. The FP folks love me, I am going back. Maybe I will do surgery some other time. Not now.

LECOM Class 2006

More
12 years 2 months ago #52805 by EemaMD
Kathie...

I'm so sorry to hear how horrible this week has been for you. Please be very careful before jumping again. I hated many things about my program and was often crying and ready to pull my hair out (though not in front of those #$*##).

First and foremost... lots of deep breaths and kleenex. Then think about whether you hate the place or whether you hate surgery. Surgical residencies (mine in OB) can be full of horrible people that think they are God's gift, but I have also found some hidden gems that made my past 4 yrs better. I realized I loved my specialty and hated my program. I could not switch, however, since my family had relocated to PA to be with me.

If you hate surgery, change back. Period. If it's the program, figure out why, if there is anything that can be done about it.

There is also a huge cultural gap between Texas and NYC. (And since I am from Chicago originally and lived in the South for 11 yrs, you can guess who I think is on which side of the gap) Sometimes that Northeastern abruptness can really through you off and seem like rudeness. Remember, hon, you speak a different language... really!

Anyhow, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family through these difficult times; and your MomMD family is here for you too!!

Linda

More
12 years 2 months ago #52806 by Cabinbuilder
Well, I do love surgery but since things are complicated and I have others to think about it is not good to be here. This is a bad bad place, atrocious things are happening to patients, bad medicine, filthy building. I can handle to rudeness if there was some kind of guidance as to the flow of things. The decision is done. I'm off this boat. I cannot find housing. I have been sleeping on someone esle's couch for a week. There are no bathrooms in the building (a huge thing for me since I have had mutiple bladder surgeries and have had to go back to being incontinant with pads (not fun). The cafeteria food is not fit to eat. BASICS. Honestly, I wish I was with someone who though they were god's gift, at least I would have someone to be with and show me the ropes. I got handed a pager that was going off constantly and was told to deal with it. WHAT!!! Sorry guys, I'm done. Life is way to short to have this much misery. Back to the beach.

LECOM Class 2006

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!