× Women Residents

Openings in surgery not advertised??

More
12 years 5 months ago #52795 by Cabinbuilder
MOst likely I will have to try to get into an R2 family practice slot where they have a surgery DO program. That is the next plan if my one hopeful spot I am waiting for falls through. That way I can get my foot in the door and as one of my attendings said, "try to seduce the surgery dept" once I get there. Cross your fingers guys. Yes, doing 2 more years of FP does suck but at least I will have completed something. I do feel the time ticking away though being 38 right now. I'd like to be able to start practice before age 50, ya know???? It's making me crazy.

LECOM Class 2006
Osteopathic Family Practice Resdincy 2009
Locum Tenens: Urgent Care/Rural Medicine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #52796 by Cabinbuilder
Just an update for anyone out there. I currently have 6 possibilites for R2 positions in general surgery. Cross your fingers. I just may get to be a surgeon yet. Yes.

LECOM Class 2006

More
12 years 5 months ago #52797 by AnotherJen
Hey Kathie,
I hope you keep us posted about where you'll be next year! I'm an MS3 tormenting myself by loving surgery but thinking that psychiatry would be rewarding without the crazy hours to mess up family life. Have you written elsewhere on MomMD about your decision making process in choosing surgery? Sorry if I'm infringing upon the residents' forum, but it all seems so close...
best,
Jen

More
12 years 4 months ago #52798 by Cabinbuilder
update to all. Like I say, never give up on your dreams. I accepted an R2 spot in NYC. Not at all where I want to be or where I ever wanted to live. Scared to death but at this point its an opportunity to be a surgeon and the last one coming my way that's for sure. I will have to grit my teeth for 4 years but come out in the end what I want to do. I worry about my kids but am glad that my husband is the greatest wife there is. It will be ok, it's the fear of the unknown. It will work out. YES :yes:

LECOM Class 2006

More
12 years 4 months ago #52799 by MelissaGray
Congratulations, Kathie!!!!!!!

More
12 years 4 months ago #52800 by residentmom
Good for you!

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!