× Women Residents

overngitht call?

More
14 years 4 months ago #53608 by ahaley
My program just adopted a nightfloat system. Up until last month we were overnight Q4.

I was surprised when I started asking around that many programs have been doing this for a while.

Do any of you in medicine, surg, OB, peds, fam practice not have to do overnight call?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #53609 by residentmom
We have nightfloat for third years only (FP). So now in third year, we do 4 weeks of night float and that is it for call for the year, unless you do a q4 elective in OB. It is sweet. :D I can't wait. As second years (AKA me) we do 6 months of q4 and 6 months of no call/ no weekends.

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
14 years 4 months ago #53610 by mopeg
For my medicine program there is night float coverage Sun-Thur. As interns we have q 4 call but it is only until about 9 PM. We check out to the night float when they come in at 8 PM then finish our work and go home. If you are on call on Fri or Sat, it is the typical 30 hour call. So we only end up with 2-3 over night calls per month, the rest of the q 4 calls are short calls until about 9 PM. It is nice.

More
14 years 4 months ago #53611 by katMD
I am in an IM program and we only do overnight call in the ICU (used to be Q3, this year Q4 to comply with the 80-hours rule).
On the floors, we have a nightfloat system, we actually finish admitting on our "long call" at 8pm, the long call is Q5 :) )).

More
14 years 4 months ago #53612 by ahaley
It encouraging to hear that medicine is evolving to allow for a more human existance. I find that I am more excited about going to work, take better care of my patients, and read more now that I dont do 30 hour shifts.

More
14 years 4 months ago #53613 by Lindsey
I think night float would be good until it was my turn. It would really be difficult as a single mom to go even two weeks without being home at night with my son. Our call averages out to about q10, so it's not all that demanding anyway.

linz

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!