× Women Residents

Starting residency tomorrow--yikes!

More
14 years 7 months ago #53626 by mommyofone
Hello everyone,

I am just writing to say that I am terrified about starting residency. Tomorrow is the big day. I am so worried about how much I've forgotten during 4th year of med school and just how much I have to learn in general. How long does it take before you feel competent??? Luckily, I start in an outpatient clinic the first month, so it is a nice way to ease in, but I am still scared. Any advice out there?
:eek:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #53627 by Popcorn
No advice, other than an "I feel your pain."

I was just coming to post a "happy July 1st-eve" actually. I'm starting on the OB service, and although the chiefs insist that it's a predominantly "catching" service, they warned me about not letting the OB residents con me into doing their discharge summaries.

Which assumes, of course, that I can figure out the dictation system.

I'm really not terrified - just a little overwhelmed. Ok, a LOT overwhelmed. I haven't done OB in a year and a half. Orientation was not great - it was thorough, but they threw so much information at us, I'm not going to remember any of it. Oh well.

I know where to show up, when to show up, and that I'll have to write some postpartum notes... but not much else.

I'm looking forward to learning, but trying to learn while figuring out a new hospital system, computer system, and practically everything else is scary. I guess the first few weeks will be treading water as best I can.

As I see it:
Know where to park? Check.
Know where to show up? Check.
Find the cafeteria? Check.
Remember the code to the doctor's lounge (where the food is)? Um... I think.
Palm charged? Check.
Pager? Groan.
Know where the call room is? Sorta...
Looong white coat? Clean at the moment, and pockets ready to go.

Good luck to everyone else!
Danielle

More
14 years 7 months ago #53628 by Lindsey
I start tomorrow. I'm a little anxious too, but still have *some* confidence. We have a pretty big class, and our overnight call is working out to about q10!!!! Can't complain at all about that. I'm starting on Surgery. While I don't like surgery, I have a goal to get more confident doing things with my hands.... I've always been a little shy about taking care of wounds, cutting, sewing, and things like that. So I think this is probably the perfect rotation to start out on. Unfortunately my attending has been on call for the past 3 days. I hope he'll still be in relatively good humor tomorrow morning when fresh meat arrives...lol.

Peace~
linz

More
14 years 7 months ago #53629 by mommyofone
Well, my first day on Friday wasn't so bad. I was terribly nervous in the morning, but then it got better as the day went on. It is now Tues. morning and I am again nervous. Hopefully, this will subside as time goes on. How is everyone else out there doing? :p

More
14 years 7 months ago #53630 by lizash13
i just started last week also. I'm doing prelim before I start my anesthesia residency. i was started on outpatient clinic as well. I guess I should be thankful, at least i get to spend time with my daughter, but I also wanted to start the hard stuff first. I do have MICU call. My first call was last week, no one died, I slept an 1 1/2 and it was okay. My daughter makes me feel so sad about overnight call even though it's q6. I can't wait till night float starts. Hope everyone else is doing well.

More
14 years 6 months ago #53631 by ellie
Hey everyone!
Just wanted to say congratulations for getting through most of your first month as residents!! It really wasn't that bad was it? I am a PGY 5 and changed programs in the middle of residency, so am still occasionally faced with "the new hospital jitters", but I always remind myself that a)if it really meant nothing to me I wouldn't be nervous, b)many have felt the same nerves in the past, present, and future, and c)breath deeply and jump on in!!!
I've noticed that there are many ways that people handle the stresses, and really urge everyone to remind themselves of what the best way to handle it for yourself is, make good supportive connections with your fellow residents, and learn from the senoir residents and attendings (the good AND the bad)...we are all human and we have all been in your shoes whether we like to acknowledge it or not.
Peace!
Ellie

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!