× Women Residents

I want out

More
14 years 10 months ago #53649 by DrSAHM
hey - congrats for moving on!
you've got plenty of options now - that's the great thing about it!!!
Keep us posted on which you end up pursuing!!
:wave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #53650 by DrJJ
I'm glad to have found this site. I'm really stressed out about my recent decision to not continue my residency training in FP. I have was so unhappy during my last 2 years of med school, I chose FP because I thought it would allow me to have more time to do the things I used to love to do before medical school (boy was I dumb!). I was just so tired of medicine being my life, I couldn't decide what I wanted.

Complicating the picture is the fact that my boyfriend of 3 years has been unsuccessful in renewing his work visa for the US (he's not an american). So we've been apart for a year, and I don't feel like ending our relationship for the sake of a career that I don't even enjoy.

So, I am moving to my boyfriend's home country, halfway around the world, as it is the only option if we want to continue our relationship.
Right now I feel there are other things that are more important in my life that I have to attend to, so I'm leaving medicine altogether.

Problem is I'm afraid that if I ever want to return to a career in medicine, my choices right now are going to make it very difficult for me to apply for a residency in the future. And even then I don't know what I would apply to. The only time I was truly happy doing medicine was doing my EM electives, but it is a very competitive residency.

Anyone have any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!