× Women Residents

Disclosing Pregnancy at Interviews?

More
10 years 1 month ago #53753 by drpurple
I am applying for a fellowship through the Match. Currently, I am days away from my 2nd trimester & kind of showing (if I wear really loose clothes, I don't think it is noticeable....). My next set of interviews are in a little over a week. My initial impulse was not to mention my pregnancy to avoid being discriminated against, but someone recommended that I tell them because I look pregnant any way and because then they'll figure I'm less likely to have a baby during their program. So now I have 3 issues: Do people think it's a good idea to tell at interviews? How does one bring that up at an interview? I had an interview at my top choice place months ago, before conceiving; how do I tell them?

Here's a question people are less likely to know that I figured I'd throw out there. I'm applying for child psych after my 3rd year of general psych. We only see out-patients in 3rd year. Technically, I would see child out-patients in child fellowship. ACGME or whatever requires 12 months of out-patient. Would I have to stay additional time in my residency to make up for out-patient time missed during maternity leave?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #53754 by residentmom
I wouldn't tell, if it is not totally obvious. No reason to give them something to hold against you.... it might be illegal, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I interviewed for residency while very obviously pregnant and it didn't hurt me... but I was not in a competitive field. Good luck!

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
10 years 1 month ago #53755 by kpzr/9145
I agree with residentmom. I was exactly in your boat, pregnant while interviewing for jobs during my third and final year of residency. Did not tell and dressed to hide it. Anyway, regarding your other questions, I wonder if some of your outpatient Fellowship time could count toward your Residency requirement? Probably not, is my guess. I took off three months from my residency and had to make up just one. I made sure to do my required ward months ahead of time so I missed two electives which was allowed. Congratulations and good luck!

kpzr

More
10 years 1 month ago #53756 by ohiomommd
Hi, Dr. Purple!

I'm in an off track wonderful psych-child psych program now; I'll be PGY5 in November.

If you short track to child psych -- that is, after 3 years- ACGME requires 12 mos continuous outpatient, as a general psych year. It seems to me, that if you're switching programs, you need that "certificate of completion of 3 years of general psych residency."
Note also that the 2 years of child fellowship have to be "continuous" even if they are part-time, so you couldn't tell ACGME you started child fellowship in March, then went back to general, or something like that.

1) You might be able to minimize time made up with a savvy director; e.g. "continuous VA clinic" but not community outpt might satisfy ACGME, so maybe you could return part time and part reading-elective?

2)Our child program definitely has rolling start dates. You could definitely ask a fellow informally, perhaps even over email before interviewing, without raising too many eyebrows about *why* you'd want a rolling admission.

(sidenote: I think a many of programs are flexible because a lot of the fellowships are half-observation / half-clinical responsibility, so except for call and inpt settings, you're not really bothering anyone by your absence. Also a # of foreign grads who want to take their vacation a month at a time to go visit family)
3) If you're interviewing/ applying anywhere "Ohioish," PM me!

Good luck... I love what I do (I just wish I didn't have to do it at somebody else's discretion of start and stop times)

More
10 years 1 month ago #53757 by ohiomommd
oh, and, I was 7-8 mos preggo with #2 when I interviewed for residency ( no way I could hide that!,) and conceived #3 about one month after accepting fellowship...,

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #71430 by HAM
So along the same lines, I'm planning on a fellowship and would anticipate interviews in Feb-March of 2011. I'm also planning a pregnancy. Would you agree that it would be preferable to have the baby (#3) before interviews to avoid pregnant interviewing?

I tend to get HUGE with pregnancy so it tends to be difficult to conceal!

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!