× Women Residents

What do you do for back-up child care?

More
16 years 3 months ago #53943 by doski
I'm just curious- as residents, what do you do for child care when your children are too sick to go to day care? Or when you are on call in the evening or weekends? Does your hospital or program provide any assistance or flexibility for you whatsoever? I have heard that some hospitals have "sick child" day care or provide after-hours babysitters for residents. Does anyone have this at their hospital?

I had 2 children during residency and was fortunate enough to live in the same city as my parents, but I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had that luxury.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #53944 by EM mom
This has been such a problem for us! Since I'm in the lab right now, I've been pretty lucky...I just change my hours so that I'm working overnight when my husband is home (course means NO sleep for me which after a few days can really make a sane person nuts!). The days that I have to be in the lab or have meetings or whatever he has to take off. One day we had to beg our neighbor/close friend to watch her for a few hours...

I did just find out about a nanny service that can provide you with someone within 4 hours, but it's super expensive (you have to pay to join, not just as you need it) and I'm really uncomfortable with leaving my daughter with someone I've never met in a one-on-one situation. Call me paranoid!

Anyway, since I'm going through the match again, I'm hoping to match near my parents and in-laws so that this problem will be lessened :crossfingers: . Since the other program that I really like is here in Houston I have been working hard this year on making contacts that can help in a pinch. I'm really just hoping that she gets sick less often next year (as unrealistic as this may be...)

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #94188 by melizaarora
You must arrange for back up child care when your child is sick. Many Caring centers allow sick children to attend. You may also opt for back up care services on holidays, or when your regular nanny goes on vacation or quits unexpectedly; schools and day care are on vacation. Find child swap babysitting with other parents through social network sites
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by .

More
5 years 8 months ago #94343 by lolaMD
In addition to my live-in nanny, I have an emergency childcare service that I go through (like EM says, it is expensive).

More
5 years 8 months ago #94354 by newmommdphd
I have a babysitter who is "on call" -- I pay her a weekly fee for this. That's in addition to having a live in nanny. The on call babysitter is there in case our nanny gets sick.

Moderators: TexasRoseellieresidentmomefex101
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!