× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

over 40 and applying to medical school

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #72900 by Doc201X
I'm going to have to disagree with ohbee on a number of points.

1) Decreasing learning capacity doesn't occur with everyone as they age. In my case, I've developed a very keen photographic memory which allowed me to ace medical school courses like Pathology and Histology. I didn't have anything close to one 20 years ago.

2) Quite a few of us in our 40's applying/attending to med school don't have young children and many of us have nests that will be empty by the time residency rolls around. Therefore we won't have to limit ourselves to family friendly specialties. In fact for us, the sky is the limit because we don't have to worry about how balancing future young kids and families (wombs are CLOSED, thank you very much) with our careers, a point I'm sure to make with every school I interview with.

3) The point about time to practice I think is moot because so many women become Physicans in their 20's only to quit medicine it seems for primarily family reasons. So I ask the question, who is the riskier bet, a woman with nothing much in her life that would cause her to quit medicine, or someone younger who you know for sure, is going to have at least some trouble balancing a high stres career with family?

4) Speaking of high stress careers, many of us in our 40's already know how to handle a high stress career with other responsibilities. A 27 year old doctors' first experience with this is as a Physician. With life experience comes much wisdom.

I've said it a gazillion times, older applicants IMHO make better Docs because of their life experiences, Moms make better Docs because of their experiences, the combo? Well now you've got a hellva Doc on your hands, LOL!!! So our job as the "best candidates" is to own it, sell it, WORK IT!!!!!!!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com
Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #73633 by MD_PHD_2B

1) Decreasing learning capacity doesn't occur with everyone as they age. In my case, I've developed a very keen photographic memory which allowed me to ace medical school courses like Pathology and Histology. I didn't have anything close to one 20 years ago.

Did you do anything special to improve your memory? Or did that just happen as a consequence of your increased focus and motivation?

Thanks.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #73701 by njdr2b
you inspire me...I totally agree with you. I just turned 40 this month and am completing my pre-reqs as well. I too have received discouragement and am also dealing with the (insecure husband) issue stuff sometimes too. But it seems the best advice is to pursue your goals and dreams.... I originally had a scientific background in pharma research as well as in the clinical lab as a lab tech while I was in my 20's.

I needed to make a drastic change during the mid 90's to IT and transitioned to systems engineering and software development. Really wish that I could have remained in the scientific arena as originally planned. However, life happens and I got married and started a recruiting firm and then realized when the economic downturn happened in 2008 that medicine was still a very real passion of mine.

I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A PHYSICIAN FROM THE AGE OF 4...I am so much more focused and determined now that I am 40. I believe first that God himself is empowering me. 2ndly, that experience somehow really grounds you. It is something that you really can't explain. I suffered many devastating things growing up from mental, sexual, emotional and verbal abuse to surviving being kidnapped and raped by three men, two of which were murderers. I am so gratful that God even allowed me to be here and pursue my real goal of being a physician..

You know some say that your time of actually practicing will be limited after 40. I say that whatever time God allows me to practice it will be time well spent. Thanks for listening ladies..... :)

PS: By the way how did you acquire such a great memory? I'm starting Ginkgo Biloba this week. Anyone ever tried it?

NJDR2B<br /><br /><br />
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #73710 by doctorstar
Hi Marvak-

You are awesome! I think it's a myth that your memory declines with age. Mine has improved. When I was a medical educator I had a student who graduated and set up private practice at age 68. You can do it when you know that you can. I have worked with people who had the self-esteem and self-love issues that need to be healed coming from a childhood of trauma. Address these and let go of all the non-essentials while you are in school and your concentration and memory in school will surely improve.

-Devi
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago #73764 by njdr2b
;)THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!!!! I am definitely working on all the "non-essentials" right now. I am so glad I know what they are. The hardest part is over...LOL Where are you practicing now? This site is more than an educational resource but a sisterhood of support.... So Glad I found it

NJDR2B<br /><br /><br />

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #74276 by Doc201X

MD_PHD_2B wrote: Did you do anything special to improve your memory? Or did that just happen as a consequence of your increased focus and motivation?

Thanks.

I'd say that focus and motivation play a major part, as does being very interested in what I'm learning.

I was also Dx with ADD a few years ago and take alternative meds to treat it. That in and of itself filled a HUGE gap in my ability to not only focus, but also retain what I learn.

Now if I could just remember to to take 2 daily doses, I'd really be doing great, LOL!!! :crazy:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!