× Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor

over 40 and applying to medical school

More
9 years 4 months ago #74278 by MomDrHopeful

pathdr2b wrote:
I was also Dx with ADD a few years ago and take alternative meds to treat it. That in and of itself filled a HUGE gap in my ability to not only focus, but also retain what I learn.

That's awesome! Would you mind sharing what the alternative meds are? I would like to discuss it with my doctor. Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #74449 by zoesmama03
I'm 30 and contemplating following my long time dream goal of becoming an OB so I can relate. I did get some discouragement from some saying do PA or etc. I am also researching and considering the certified nurse midwife route as I am deeply interested in homeopathic medicine as well.

I had a photographic memory in high school and while it did decrease it was not from age it has more to do with the muscle that the brain seems to be weakening from lack of "study". I say study because I never had to really study in my life. I reviewed but nothing like hours which I'm sure would be different with medical school. But the brain is like other muscles you have to study and read to keep it up. I completed medical assistant certification in 2008 and had a 4.0 my medical terms and anatomy were almost all scored at 100%. While almost all of the students in my smaller sized class had 4.0 but I was the only one that aced the anatomy with 100%. I am just saying that it all came back to me in my late 20s after years of no formal education classes. :)

I say go for it. I have heard stories of 60 year olds entering and completing. Best thing you can do is stay inside a comfortable means. Save save save. Don't go buy extravagant house and cars and you can probably have no issues repaying debts and be able to save for retirement and help children with college costs. Weddings is something that is nice to help out with but not required. Just saying nobody paid for my education(to date) or wedding(well we had a short term with wedding from family but repaid it all and it was a VERY small frugal wedding). That part of life had detoured me off my education path and when I went for the MA school was me as a single mom trying to better our lifestyle. So far it has proved useless as I don't have experience and many in my area require bilingual to even be contacted for consideration. I had 3 years of high school Spanish but am far from fluent or even up to communications levels. I am working to get Rosetta Stone or something to improve my pronunciations and learn new terms particularly medical terms. I know our local Mayo clinic offers classes at times during the year.

~Melissa

More
9 years 3 months ago #74496 by Doc201X

MomDrHopeful wrote: That's awesome! Would you mind sharing what the alternative meds are? I would like to discuss it with my doctor. Thank you!

My apologies for the late response.

I take a product called Neurozyme and purchase it from Whole Foods.

BTW, is anyone taking the MCAT this year? I'm taking it in August! :)

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
9 years 2 months ago #74810 by BlessedinAZ
Hi, I am 47 and taking MCAT for the second time July 30th. I scored a 10 on verbal but bombed the rest. I have my BS in psych and Masters in Counseling (2001 grad). I am just retaking Bio and am in Kaplan course studying for MCAT one more time. I did an online course first time around and now am in a classroom. Learning all kinds of great short cuts for some of the 100's of equations that I didn't learn from my previous course. It is very important for me to score high, 30+ because I am SO OLD! You know what I mean.... I already was discouraged from med school because of my age but who cares? My girls are grown ( well, they are 23,26 but act like high school girls...) and my husband thinks I can be a great doctor. We survived law school for him so now it's my turn to do whatever I want. I opened and ran a wellness center and saw that I wanted to be more than just the owner/ assistant to the doctor. I am very street wise medically ( if that's a term?) and am ready to learn everything else. My grandmother just turned 100 in May so there is plenty of time left in my life for whatever I want! I am applying to osteopath school, in particular to AT Still because they offer one year classroom and then do clinical rotations the last three years. Anyhow, I am in need of cheering on and well wishers. It's tough being thought of as too old when I feel just right! Keep studying and find a study group or tutor for your MCAT! Best wishes!

More
9 years 2 months ago #75016 by Joannanyc
Just getting started AND having 20 years of experience at the same time.

I am 45 and am preparing for the Sept 3 MCAT.

My thoughts, motivations and apprehensions echo so many comments. I thought I would share a few points brought up throughout this forum.

I have so much more to offer medical school and eventually patients and the medical community now than I would have at 25 or 35. I did apply to medical school way back (1993) when I was wait listed and reassured I was at the very top of the list and would get in.

Since then I have had my 2 boys (now 13 and 15). I worked until 1996 on my PhD (abd). I have several publications in cell bio topics. Then I did a bunch of short gigs. I went bank to research once for a little over a year. I got certified to teach yoga and did that for about 2 years. Today I am a science teacher and have 5 years under my belt. No small task as a NYC TOP fellow for the MS program. I am fully tenured and certified.

All of that I will bring to the classroom, office and conferences!

As for the intellectual capacity, I am sure it is an individual experience. Personally, I am a MUCH better student now than I was at 25. I am calm and focused. I love the content (education or science even history - I had a great course last year in US history I needed as an undergraduate prerequisite, whatever!?)

Financially, whoa? I have a house with big equity :)
I am divorced and remarried with little help financially.
I am sure loans are the only way. As i see it there is no need to retire at 65. I imagine I will start the second chapter of my medical career at that point.

peace, Joanna

More
9 years 2 months ago #75027 by Harley Davidson
I am 42 years old and I am going into my senior year of college. I have worked as a police officer/detective for 12 years in Washington DC. Before that I was in the military. I am expecting to graduate after the spring of 2012. Is it too late to attempt medical school? I believe that at 42 years old I am mature enough for medical school. I have dealt with very stressful and dangerous situations in my tenure as a police officer. I believe that I can take that experience into a new career as a doctor.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!